Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 10:00 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

How long?

Hey guys I (or should I say my mom) recently bought a betta and it had seemed kind of sick (gasping for air in water and over extradited gills, symptoms of fin rot, ext.) I treated him with Maracyn Two, and added the suggested ammount of aquarium salt in his tank. A couple days went by and I took him off the medicine and put him in a heated 5 gallon tank...with half the suggested ammount of auqarium salt... My problem is that every time I walk buy his tank to say hello he is always hiding and very anti-social compared to other bettas I have had in the past..He hides all day and is seldom active... He is eating tho.. His behavior worries me.... Am I over reacting? We bought him about a week ago and this is the second day with him being in his new heated(79-80deg) 5 gallon (well planted and some caves for him to hide in) My question is how long dose it usually take for a betta to get used to his tank? Do some take longer than others because I'm worried and I just want a few other opinions from betta veterans!
Thanks so much!!!!!

Last edited by Lunchbox148; 02-13-2013 at 10:03 PM.
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some do take longer than others. I moved my males around, swapped them around in the 10g tanks. One of them didn't hardly move for hours, another one oddly enough wouldn't use one of his pectoral fins for a while & the 3rd one acted completely normal & was all over his new digs instantly. How's the filter current if the tank is filtered? He could be hiding in that spot because there's little to no current there. Was the tank cycled before adding him or are you doing a fish IN cycle? Have you tested your water for ammo is, nitrites, nitrates with a liquid test kit?
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:21 PM   #3 
Lunchbox148

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
Some do take longer than others. I moved my males around, swapped them around in the 10g tanks. One of them didn't hardly move for hours, another one oddly enough wouldn't use one of his pectoral fins for a while & the 3rd one acted completely normal & was all over his new digs instantly. How's the filter current if the tank is filtered? He could be hiding in that spot because there's little to no current there. Was the tank cycled before adding him or are you doing a fish IN cycle? Have you tested your water for ammo is, nitrites, nitrates with a liquid test kit?
I'm now cycling the tank, I bought a betta for myself (the sick one is my mom's but I take care of him) And he is in the exact same tank MiniBow 5 Gallon Both are heated and both bettas are fed about 8 pellets daily broken up in 2 servings Mine is extremely lively and dashes back and forth in his tank he had fin rot as well when I bought him and i did the same thing with him as my mom's (QT in 1 gallon tank with AQ salt and Maracyn Two) Both tanks are un cycled and currently being cycled... The next thing on my list is a master water test kit... I think I'm just being a worry wart with this betta and need to be patient.... Some bettas just take longer to settle in? Thanks so much! Oh yeah and I'm going to add some more filter padding to lower the current .

Last edited by Lunchbox148; 02-13-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 11:39 PM   #4 
callistra

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233

Photos would help too

You definitely need a reliable drops kit for ammonia and nitrite. You should be testing daily and doing 50% change any time you see signs of either, and in addition to this a weekly 50% change with siphon is needed. Also you need to use the in tank thermometer to match the temp of the new water to the current water.

The gasping and gill issues could be ammonia/nitrite poising or shock.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote