Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #11 
LittleBettaFish

CPDs in my experience tend to be fairly shy. I imagine unless you had an extremely peaceful male they would be harassed. They also be at their best in mature, well-planted tanks.

Glass catfish need to be kept in large schools, and everything I have read suggests that they need a tank in the 20 gallon and up range.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #12 
broncosfan84

Thank you Crowntails for the link to the pygmy cories. I've been loking for some for my 20Long sorority. the tank is fully planted and has 6 females and 5 kuhli loaches. How many pygmy cories could I safely put in with them. Also thinking of getting some red cherry shrimp.
broncosfan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #13 
MistersMom

I also have glass catfish in my ten gallon. They do great. I only have one atm because when I got it I was seeing how my betta would react. They get along fine. Also rosy red minnows are good. Does anyone know about mollies? How good are they?
MistersMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

MistersMom, I don't want to come across as rude, but I don't think you ideally should be giving stocking advice as your own tank is quite poorly stocked.

Mollies grow too big for a 10 gallon tank and do best in hard, brackish water. Glass catfish require a school so at least 6 individuals to be happier (with this species more is best) and as they grow to 8cm they are probably not going to have a lot of room to move about in a 10 gallon tank.

Here is a profile on glass catfish

http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...opterus-minor/
Old 02-14-2013, 02:24 PM   #15 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosfan84 View Post
Thank you Crowntails for the link to the pygmy cories. I've been loking for some for my 20Long sorority. the tank is fully planted and has 6 females and 5 kuhli loaches. How many pygmy cories could I safely put in with them. Also thinking of getting some red cherry shrimp.
No problem! I'd do around 8-10 of them.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #16 
Crowntails

Mollies need at least a 20 gallon tank, preferably brackish. Glass catfish need to be in schools in at least a 55 gallon IMO.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #17 
MistersMom

Well it was rude as I've said I'm getting rid of those golf fish I'm giving them to a friend who has gold fish. Rosy red minnows are perfect. I know how to stock a tank, I just like trying different things....
Old 02-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #18 
MistersMom

And that's why I asked about mollies
Old 02-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #19 
LittleBettaFish

Well if you knew how to stock a tank you would not have goldfish and glass catfish and a betta all living together in a 10 gallon tank.

You can try something new and still have an appropriately stocked tank.

I recommend looking through the SeriouslyFish database. That has profiles for hundreds of different fish species and covers their care requirements in a lot of details.

Going by Wikipedia it looks like the fathead minnow prefers temperatures of 50-70 degrees farenheit so that doesn't seem like a very compatible tank mate either.

There are so many nano friendly species of fish out there. The only downside is they tend to be extremely sensitive and so you need an established and cycled tank to keep them in.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:56 PM   #20 
Crowntails

LittleBettaFish isn't being rude at all. I agree whole hardily him. If you knew how to stock a fish tank, then you wouldn't stock it like that since it is very overstocked and has incompatible fish.

Goldfish need 40 gallon tanks at least. Glass Catfish need at least a 55 gallon Tank. Goldfish like cool waters (less than 70), Glass catfish like it warm (more than 75).