Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #11 
Chevko

I would assume most are just fine to use, just be careful of how big they are as the obvious point. Don't get something that'll take up a huge amount of space, though something leafy shouldn't hurt. Keep in mind that it's still winter/spring time so they might not have any at all, you might have to wait for summer to roll around before you'll find anything.

Depending on how often you're going to water the plant, definitely holes in the bottom. When it comes to watering them, it depends on how big they are, but I'm sure you'll be fine with a little bit of water every few weeks. I've got a Jade plant that I water only about that often, and my mammillaria even less and they're both succulent-type plants. Thing to keep in mind is that when you go to water them, their roots don't want to stay constantly wet, that can cause root rot and kill the plant pretty quickly. With the pot being planted, it can cause root rot to happen quicker. For fertilizer, you don't have to. You can use it sparingly to speed up growth, but it's not required. I've got a fern I give Miracle Gro to every now and again and it goes through mild growth spurts from time to time even a month after I last gave it that blue water.

When you get your plants let us know :D I'd love to see what you're getting!
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:38 PM   #12 
eatmice2010

Leopard geckos are not omnivores so they wont eat the plants, so you dont have to worry if there toxic or not really. Just like i said before just stay away from sharp prickly succulents. And for watering them, i usually berry a dish under the pot in the sand, so it catches the water. I usually water my succulent when the plants start to shrivel a little, soils dry, and if the plant looks thirsty :)
eatmice2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:43 PM   #13 
Chevko

@eatmice2010
There are some that might seep though. I think that obesa has a poisonous sap. So if it gets cut or something and the leo is curious... I remember that there was some cactus at least looked like the obesa I wanted that was listed as poisonous.
Old 02-13-2013, 04:04 PM   #14 
eatmice2010

I wouldnt use it, not because of its sap, because im careful when i handle succulents, I wouldnt use it because it produces babes from the top of the plant and when they brake off it runs the risk of the leo eating one.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:47 PM   #15 
Chevko

Obesa doesn't. My mammiliaria does but that's only with the right conditions. Obesa propagates via seed, not pups. Keep the flowers off and you're golden. Or let it flower and promptly snip them. Thing with all succulent-type cacti, they'll pup. Or at least a majority of them in my experience.

@Juicebox
Just remembered one that would probably do amazing that I didn't see mentioned prior: a Jade plant. Crassula ovata seems to be it's scientific name. They're super easy to grow, just make sure it's not starting to wither - if it is, it needs more water than it's currently given. Keep in mind they can be speedy growers.
Old 02-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #16 
eatmice2010

Oh sorry when i said babies i meant as in seed pods.