Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #21 
LittleBlueFishlets

Yes, a photo would be good if you think that he may be bloated. It would allow people to see how he looks right now.

When was the last time he ate? (You said over a week, but how much over?)

You said he's hanging out near the surface. Does it look like he's able to swim back down when he wants to, or is he "stuck" there? Ie: does this look like a buoyancy control problem, versus just a "hey, I wanna be near the surface" thing?
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:02 PM   #22 
MidnightsSong

Here on some photos. I'm sorry, the quality is quite crap.

As an update, he ate two pellets this evening! First time he has eaten since he fell ill eleven days ago.

To me, it looks like he is just resting on his plant. :/ But I'm not sure. He returned to the bottom yesterday night after I changed the water, but when I woke again he was at the top and is again now (just like the pictures).
MidnightsSong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #23 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Yes he does look bloated, its good he ate and is feeling better but I would not feed him for a day and see is some of the bloating goes away. Bloating can cause swimming problems so that might be why he is staying at top. What type of food are you feeding him and how much ? Dont worry if the bloat doesnt go away after a couple of days you can add some Espom salt to his water but be sure and check with others and how to do that. You might want to have some on hand just in case you need it, get the unscented Espom salt, you can get it at most stores or drug stores.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:35 PM   #24 
MidnightsSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Yes he does look bloated, its good he ate and is feeling better but I would not feed him for a day and see is some of the bloating goes away. Bloating can cause swimming problems so that might be why he is staying at top. What type of food are you feeding him and how much ? Dont worry if the bloat doesnt go away after a couple of days you can add some Espom salt to his water but be sure and check with others and how to do that. You might want to have some on hand just in case you need it, get the unscented Espom salt, you can get it at most stores or drug stores.
The only thing is, he's been in this bloated state for the past eleven days. He went over a week without food. And still here he is with his extended abdomen. :/
He eats Wardley Betta Food Pellets, about 2-3 pellets twice a day.
I'll look into the Epsom Salt treatments. :) Thank you.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #25 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

I was wondering myself how he could still be bloated after that long without eating. Yes I think I would start the Espom salt treatments, its 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and dissolve it some warm water before adding it to the tank. Your very welcome be sure and ask all questions you have thats what we are here for. I am first time Betta owner , I have had my guy 8 months now and learned here the proper care for him and its been so worth it I just love him so much !!!

It seems I have heard those pellets are not very good and have to many fillers in them and not enough protein. I give my guy New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and they are one of the best . Ask others what they think is the best I know there are a couple others that are also very good pellets but cant remember the name of those.

Last edited by Perseusmom; 02-14-2013 at 09:44 PM.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #26 
MidnightsSong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I was wondering myself how he could still be bloated after that long without eating. Yes I think I would start the Espom salt treatments, its 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and dissolve it some warm water before adding it to the tank. Your very welcome be sure and ask all questions you have thats what we are here for. I am first time Betta owner , I have had my guy 8 months now and learned here the proper care for him and its been so worth it I just love him so much !!!

It seems I have heard those pellets are not very good and have to many fillers in them and not enough protein. I give my guy New Life Spectrum Betta pellets and they are one of the best . Ask others what they think is the best I know there are a couple others that are also very good pellets but cant remember the name of those.
I will! Thank you again! :)

Yeah, I've had this guy for about two years. He's my first fish too. Unfortunately, I wasn't properly educated when I got him and now I am just learning everything. :( I heard bad things about the Wardley brand as well. I was going to look at another brand when I get a chance to run to the pet store. :)
Old 02-21-2013, 12:27 AM   #27 
MidnightsSong

Unhappy If I Could Please Get Some More Advice, That'd Be Wonderful

He's still bloated, like the pictures posted a few days ago. I've been treating him with Epson salt as instructed by Persusmom and have been changing his water every other day as instructed by Castrilla. He eats about every other day, by choice and he sits in his tree very near the surface.
Is he still recovering? Or could there be an underlying cause? :(
Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 PM   #28 
callistra

Have you been fasting him?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #29 
MidnightsSong

Technically, yes. He doesn't eat every day. And now, he hasn't eaten for three days again.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #30 
callistra

So.. I just want to revisit what you have fixed so far?

Is he warmed up? What temp?

Have you upped your water changes? What are you doing now?

Have you gotten a larger container? What size?

What conditioner are you using now?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disease, sick