Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #31 
BeautifulBetta123
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Hogwarts
I personally love ee but think this just looks ridiculous and can't be good for the fish.
Attached Images
 
BeautifulBetta123 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #32 
Xaltd1
Member
 
Xaltd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hamilton, MA
I just stumbled upon this thread- my male PKEE (avatar) is a gorgeous fish! His "ears" flutter. I think it actually helps him- is such a subtle motion. I have 2 HMEE girls. In the early days, the girls "ears" got a but torn up they zip around with the non-EEs (the others' tails & fins got a nip mark or 2 as well). Of course, the girls have smaller fins; again, they get extra thrust from those pecs. I would think it would be like a human with diving fins. When I saw pictures of EEs, I thought the fish looked silly, too. Then I saw one- the fluttering motion was so lovely. As for breeders over-emphasizing certain features, well, that horse left the barn long ago. Without the first person to breed 2 wild bettas for color, we wouldn't have our pets. Just as the wolf and bobcat would make very bad choices as pets! None of our little jewels would survive in the wild. These are now "designer fish" and some breeders will ALWAYS have a "why not?" attitude OR they will not cull the extreme mutation if the fry seems healthy. The IBC and the buying public will ultimately dictate the EEs fate.

Last edited by Xaltd1; 02-14-2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: typo
Xaltd1 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 07:48 PM   #33 
louisvillelady
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Mattsbetta, The reason for this post is to get people to think abou the fish they are producing. We have a responsibility for what we breed and the well being of these LIVING creatures.

Logisticsguy, the physics is there. When a fish does not have control of the finnage, it is a flap that causes extra resistance and makes it harder to swim. This is not an opinion, it is a scientific fact. The flippers you are given to swim with are stiff. You place them on your hands or feet, and they are stiff and help you push water, the same way fins work for fish. You would not place socks on you hands or feet, and let them dangle off the ends of your feet or hands and try to swim because it would be a hindrance and make it harder for you to swim. The small ee are not so bad because the fish have control of the fins. The larger ones they do not.

Syriiven awsome post!
louisvillelady is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #34 
Xaltd1
Member
 
Xaltd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hamilton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by louisvillelady View Post
Mattsbetta, The reason for this post is to get people to think abou the fish they are producing. We have a responsibility for what we breed and the well being of these LIVING creatures.

Logisticsguy, the physics is there. When a fish does not have control of the finnage, it is a flap that causes extra resistance and makes it harder to swim. This is not an opinion, it is a scientific fact. The flippers you are given to swim with are stiff. You place them on your hands or feet, and they are stiff and help you push water, the same way fins work for fish. You would not place socks on you hands or feet, and let them dangle off the ends of your feet or hands and try to swim because it would be a hindrance and make it harder for you to swim. The small ee are not so bad because the fish have control of the fins. The larger ones they do not.
LL, Have you seen an EE swim? They don't "flap" and the fins aren't stiff. They vertically ripple a bit & the fish goes forward. It isn't like a bird flapping it's wings against the air. They physics of movement under water are different than flying in the air. I would think larger fins would be an asset. Butch swims effortlessly.
Xaltd1 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 08:18 PM   #35 
logisticsguy
Member
 
logisticsguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Well you may be right. I dont know the scientific fact as it has yet to be presented here. Just from experience of owning both very small and very large finned fish, the difference in life quality would be insignificant jmho. Ive seen big finned fish that swim well every day without any visible issues getting around. I maintain that diet, sanitation and over all care given by the pet owner is more important. Every day I see males with extremely large fins zipping around tanks like a lunatics who have ability to really swim fast in a bigger tank but could use more daily exercise than the 10 minutes of flaring every day. The female domestic betta can have a tendency to get obese if your not careful about diet. I respect your point of view but there are far bigger problems in the betta world than this. Pet store sales myths about how little care bettas need, no heater, no filter, hardly ever change the water ect. bother me more personally. Your points are valid and like I like most breeders strive for form and colors more than fin size.
logisticsguy is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:25 PM   #36 
Option
Member
 
Option's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New York, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
Of course, the girls have smaller fins; again, they get extra thrust from those pecs.
You can't be serious. It's OBVIOUS to anyone (whether you are an EE fan or not) that gigantic fin mutations are a hinderance in nature. Why do you think we don't see EEs running around in the wild rice patties or long finned goldfish swimming around in china??....because they all got caught by the predators long before they could've survived to adulthood!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaltd1 View Post
They don't "flap" and the fins aren't stiff.
EXACTLY...you said it yourself. Since those big mutated fins aren't stiff -- then how the heck do they function to a swimming advantage? If they're floppy then they're a mere hinderance! And a big waving hand to predators to say "hi here is your next meal!"

Last edited by Option; 02-14-2013 at 11:28 PM.
Option is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:53 PM   #37 
Xaltd1
Member
 
Xaltd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hamilton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option View Post
You can't be serious. It's OBVIOUS to anyone (whether you are an EE fan or not) that gigantic fin mutations are a hinderance in nature. Why do you think we don't see EEs running around in the wild rice patties or long finned goldfish swimming around in china??....because they all got caught by the predators long before they could've survived to adulthood!



EXACTLY...you said it yourself. Since those big mutated fins aren't stiff -- then how the heck do they function to a swimming advantage? If they're floppy then they're a mere hinderance! And a big waving hand to predators to say "hi here is your next meal!"
Do you have any EEs? Have you seen them swim? Or swim w/ with other bettas?
I speak from observations of my 3 EEs- 1 male, 2 females in a sorority. Look at the pectoral fins of your bettas. They undulate, rather than flap. Just imagine them bigger. My sorority EEs should be dead by now if they were at a significant handicap of the other 7 females. They're just as speedy!
Xaltd1 is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:54 PM   #38 
Skyewillow
Member
 
Skyewillow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Michigania
This whole thread was created for the sole purpose of putting down anyone who likes EE's. It's ridiculous. If I posted a thread complaining about another variety, everyone would be on me like a pack of dogs to defend whatever it is.

It's lame that someone feels the need to degrade the breed, and the people who enjoy them...
Skyewillow is offline  
Old 02-14-2013, 11:57 PM   #39 
Xaltd1
Member
 
Xaltd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hamilton, MA
Oh, and NONE of our fancy, colorful fish would last 10 seconds in nature. And who knows if evolution would have created larger pecs for bettas, or even permitted bettas to continue? Humans have intervened, for "betta" or worse...
Xaltd1 is offline  
Old 02-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #40 
Xaltd1
Member
 
Xaltd1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Hamilton, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
This whole thread was created for the sole purpose of putting down anyone who likes EE's. It's ridiculous. If I posted a thread complaining about another variety, everyone would be on me like a pack of dogs to defend whatever it is.

It's lame that someone feels the need to degrade the breed, and the people who enjoy them...
Amen! PLEASE don't "dis" a fish unless you've seen one. I NEVER would have purchased a $35+ EE unless I saw one swim in person. Still pics do no justice to the EE. I have never seen anything so glorious and lush!!!
Xaltd1 is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I Need Help On Breeding! BeautifulBetta14 Breeding Betta Fish 5 02-11-2012 10:12 PM
How old is too old for breeding? elijahfeathers Breeding Betta Fish 3 05-07-2011 10:07 PM
Breeding the Thai way/Bucket breeding?! Smile4Me2Night Breeding Betta Fish 10 04-29-2011 01:34 PM
Another post for helping with breeding: breeding with genes that don't breed true. MrVampire181 Breeding Betta Fish 3 08-24-2009 08:21 AM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.