Betta Fish Forum banner

Star moss? WHAT THE HECK?!?!?!

3K views 9 replies 10 participants last post by  efg321 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just discovered what appears to be star moss growing in my backyard. :shock: I've read that it's a terrestrial moss, but I've also heard of some people keeping it successfully in an aquarium. Could you verify that this is star moss for me, and if you think it's worth experimenting with keeping it aquatically, just for fun? (The property I live on has been certified organic for 7 years, so no worries on pesticides). I wouldn't plan on keeping it in any populated tanks, (yet) just a kritter keeper or something.

Aquatic magic's picture of star moss, and others from the internet. (sorry for the drastically different sizes, but they're the best ones I could find)

Pictures of the stuff in my yard:
It's growing in a damp, rocky spot. (I am in western Washington, so it's pretty wet here)

Tree Plant Grass Soil Rock

Plant Non-vascular land plant Moss Antarctic flora Flower

Plant Flower Tree Leaf Woody plant

Nature Vegetation Non-vascular land plant Moss Grass

Plant Non-vascular land plant Grass Moss Botany

Thanks, ~Saphira

See less See more
#2 ·
that close up definitely looks like star moss! I would emerge it for a couple of weeks in a tupperware dish or something that you dont have any of your fish in to see how it does, and if it does okay emerged then try submerged and see what happens.
I'd definitely be interested to find out!

#3 ·
I've heard a lot of horror stories about star moss dying in tanks, so I'd recommend running your experiment in an uninhabited tank. It takes awhile to die, but I don't believe I've heard of anyone successfully getting it to grow underwater. Be sure to let us know if you have any luck with it, it's a pretty moss and I'd love to keep it.

#9 ·
I dont think it's a fully aquatic plant, but could be semi-aquatic. I think I saw a video where someone had it fixed round rocks that basically held up a DIY waterfall into his cichlid tank. it looks pretty too. I'd definitely want to experiment with it as only a top decoration (like on a sponge in the filter sort of deal) in an uninhabited tank first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.