Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #241 
FishyFishy89

question, would a small amount of soil cause a spike or crash in parameters? I currently have 1 sword in my 75 but it's not doing the greatest it could do. The ends of the leaves are turning yellow at the ends. I've read this is showing nutrient deficiency.

Surely such a small amount of soil around 1 plant wouldn't cause a crash in a large tank right?
FishyFishy89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:12 AM   #242 
Oldfishlady

Is it just one sword in a 75 gal soil based or is the sword potted and sitting in the 75gal with inert substrate.
Usually yellow leaves are a sign of Iron deficiency.
Depending on the soil and how much-it can cause problems-especially if you don't have enough active growing stem plants.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #243 
FishyFishy89

I just have playsand in the 75. I have 15 stems of cabomba, 4-5 handfuls of hornwort floating and salvina/duckweed floating. The sword is planted right into the substrate. It didn't come with a little pot, I was just thinking I could wrap up some soil in wax paper/lay it right in the spot the sword is in. If necessary, I do have a smaller pot that my basil plant is currently in, it's getting transferred to a larger pot this weekend.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:23 PM   #244 
FishyFishy89

I also want to add, I've only been dosing Flourish once a week...
Old 02-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #245 
acadialover

I'v had my soil tank about 4 weeks and the plans have gone crazy......... wow.... however, I've noticed my little betta's fins starting to curl..... OH no..... what can I do ?? OFL ??? anyone ??
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:14 PM   #246 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadialover View Post
I'v had my soil tank about 4 weeks and the plans have gone crazy......... wow.... however, I've noticed my little betta's fins starting to curl..... OH no..... what can I do ?? OFL ??? anyone ??
It is hard to say, however, I would start a new thread-along with the needed info found in the sticky at the top of the disease/emergency section and a pic....A lot of times curling of the fins will be due to aging, genetics, hard water or injury...
Old 02-15-2013, 05:24 PM   #247 
Oldfishlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishyFishy89 View Post
I just have playsand in the 75. I have 15 stems of cabomba, 4-5 handfuls of hornwort floating and salvina/duckweed floating. The sword is planted right into the substrate. It didn't come with a little pot, I was just thinking I could wrap up some soil in wax paper/lay it right in the spot the sword is in. If necessary, I do have a smaller pot that my basil plant is currently in, it's getting transferred to a larger pot this weekend.
Okay....the yellow leaves most likely are due to Iron deficiency or normal die off and/or leaf change over. You might want to add roots tabs for the sword. Is this a newly bought sword plant and if so, did it come in one of those tubes. You can plant the sword in a pot of dirt-then cover the dirt with some gravel to help keep it weighted down better-Be sure the crown is slightly above the substrate line.

Also, when you say change in water prams-what are those numbers and how are they different from the last test and source water and in what relation did you make the test to when you added plants ferts and/or water change using dechlorinator. Did it cause any changes in livestock behavior.
Old 02-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #248 
Sagat

OFL, how often do you remove dead plant matter? I've noticed that Diana W. doesn't mention water changes in a newly set up tank. For that matter, I've never heard any mention from anyone about proper care for a newly set up NPT. Just lots of raves about how few water changes need to be done when it's established. I suspect that a lot of my current problems are stemming from how few water changes I've done.

Could you explain what water changes do for the tank? All Diana mentions in her book is the removal of excess nutrients in the water column. How does that affect fish health (if at all)

Last edited by Sagat; 02-15-2013 at 06:19 PM.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:59 PM   #249 
FishyFishy89

The sword is fairly new....2-ish weeks? I've seen 1 leaf grow out and now another one appears to be growing.

I was speaking of water parameters because you said your tank could crash if you add livestock to a tank that isn't fully planted when using soil.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 AM   #250 
Oldfishlady

Sagat-with newly setup soil based tanks-depending on-type of soil, how many and what species of plants and how well they are doing-Water changes will vary from a couple of times a week to every month in the beginning-until the soil settles or starts its life underwater-this usually can take about 3 months. Its hard to give exacts due to every system can be different for all kinds of reason.

If you have a lot of dead plant matter-something might be wrong or the plants are not adapted to living underwater yet and going through a normal leaf change over. You shouldn't have a lot of plant deaths or leaves dropping-If its not normal leaf change over it can be due to the wrong color temp lights, old bulbs, not long enough on the photoperiod or bad soil.

Water changes are to help keep the water safe for livestock in the beginning until everything settles and plants thriving. Once mature and thriving-water changes can help replenish trace and other nutrients that can get used up over time.