Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #1 
bettacrazygirl86

Found a 50 gallon?

My dad somehow managed to find me a 50 gallon aquarium! He said it's just the tank, no hood, filter, or anything. He said it might even be 100, he's not entirely sure. I have no idea what to do with it! I only have two bettas! I'm thinking about dividing it.

I'll get plain colored gravel or maybe sand, live plants, two dividers so I can have a "no man's land" in between them with the heater and filter, so it won't push either of them around too much, and maybe add in some tetras and cories? I was thinking about 5 tetras and 5 cories on each side, or just the cories since they would benefit the tank more than the tetras would. The tetras would just be for added prettiness. What do you guys think?

I'm hesitant about even using the tank yet, because I'm going off to college. The tanks I have right now for my bettas are small and would be easier to transport. The 50 definitely wouldn't be coming with me, unless I somehow get an apartment, which won't be happening.

I was thinking about maybe setting up the 50 and dividing it, and put just the bettas in it while I'm in college and let my sisters feed them and clean up the debris every day, as water changes could be less with a 50. If I go to the college I'm thinking about going to, I might come home on weekends, so water changes could still be frequent, not that it would really be necessary that often. I'm not sure. I'm excited, but I'd rather have it set up to use than to just sit there, empty. You know?

I may set it up with a few other fish, rather than bettas and make it a community tank to have out in our living room. I know whenever I get my own place or have somewhere to put it, I'll make it a sorority. If I did make it a sorority tank, about how many females and cories do you all think I can put in it?

I feel bad for my roommate whenever I get an apartment of my own. I'll have fish tanks everywhere! I have a 4 gallon bowl, 3 gallon critter keeper, two 5 gallon tanks, and now this 50 gallon! My water bill will be outrageous.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #2 
waterdog

With a tank that size you really don't need a 'no mans land'. You could divide it into 3 or 4 parts with no problem.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 04:21 PM   #3 
bettacrazygirl86

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterdog View Post
With a tank that size you really don't need a 'no mans land'. You could divide it into 3 or 4 parts with no problem.
I just don't want one of them to think the other one would be fun to bully. And I also don't want babies, since one is female and the other is male. So I was thinking the dividers would keep them apart and they'd have to jump two barriers to get into the other's space. Plus, the filter wouldn't push them around and the heat would be more evenly distributed between the two.
bettacrazygirl86 is offline   Reply With Quote