Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 AM   #11 
acitydweller

i have such a weakness for white bettas... congrats on your find.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:38 AM   #12 
Boredomb

LoL I have always loved looking at Solid white Bettas. Though I have never seen one in person till yesterday! Which is why its in my 10gallon tank now.
Posted via Mobile Device
Boredomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:10 PM   #13 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boredomb View Post
So just a question here Indjo, If worm food is high (higher then most food) in fat and generally makes Bettas thick and fat why do you feed them as staple food? I can understand feeding only what you can get locally as I couldn't get live Blackworms for a long time and the first time I could I started a culture of them so I would have some in the future.

I am just trying to figure out the best foods to feed for the fish in terms of nutrition and have a little variety for him too.

Also one more question what's the best temp to keep them. I have the tank set at 78. Does it need to be higher/lower???
I think most of us feed a quality pellet food as a staple, frozen foods & such as a replacement meal once or twice a week for variety. I haven't fed live foods so I can't advise on that. At least that's what I do. I keep my tanks at 78F & the temp goes up a degree or 2 once the lights have been on for a while. Some people keep their tanks 80-82F but 78F is fine.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:30 PM   #14 
Boredomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by shellieca View Post
I think most of us feed a quality pellet food as a staple, frozen foods & such as a replacement meal once or twice a week for variety. I haven't fed live foods so I can't advise on that. At least that's what I do. I keep my tanks at 78F & the temp goes up a degree or 2 once the lights have been on for a while. Some people keep their tanks 80-82F but 78F is fine.
Thanks Shellieca!

Quick question.
How on earth do y'all get them to take Pellets!!????!???
I just tried to feed him and he completely ignored the pellets!
So what tricks do y'all use to get them to take them?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #15 
shellieca

LOL. Yeah that's a common problem. Since he's new it may take a few days to a week for him to eat properly. Sometimes its the pellet you're feeding. What pellets do you have? I used to feed the Top Fin Betta Bites but have changed to the New Life Spectrum Betta pellets. They're good quality, smaller in size & don't swell like some do when they eat them. They will sink after some time which is fine for me because all of my Bettas scavenge off the bottom most of the time. Sometimes you have to not feed them for a couple of days then offer the pellet & when they're hungry enough they typically eat it. I do have one boy who won't eat pellets & he gets Omega One flakes which can be messy if too much is fed.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #16 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Not sure about your question regarding worms, Bordomb. Yes, worms are high-fat. But bloodworms are midge larvae with a similar nutritional profile to mosquito larvae. Both are staples in a wild Betta diet, along with the larvae of other insects..

Your tank is Betta-perfect, with that log and plenty of plants on the way to hide and take comfort in. A soil-based NPT. I'm impressed. Just needs a little topcover. Your experience credits you. More new Betta-keepers could emulate your setup.

Gorgeous fish. You really scored.

Last edited by Hallyx; 02-15-2013 at 07:33 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 PM   #17 
Boredomb

I was kinda wondering if bloodworms are treats for Bettas or not more or less. In My experience with tropical fish they are consider treats as they are high in protein and fat (Not in the same class as mosquito larva. Well that's the impression I have been under.). However they are a staple for my Dwarf puffers and I keep plenty of them and Live Blackworms.

Thanks about the tank. I need to still add the Java Moss and Anacharis. I added a small piece of Hornwort. As it grows pretty fast for me or that's been my experience with my other tanks. Ohh and the Background that's driving me nuts. I can't stand having a tank without a background! LoL

Shellieca I have the NLS betta formula pellets. I have been a fan of that food in other tropical fish so I thought it should be a good food for Bettas too. Thanks again on the tip I will watch him over the next couple of days and see if I can get him to eat the pellets if not I can always give him some blood/blackworms.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-15-2013, 07:46 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

IMO if you got NLS Betta pellets and one frozen food (such as bloodworms) you are good to go! Your setup also looks great to me! Good job, you!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:47 PM   #19 
Boredomb

Ohh and I agree it really needs more cover. The water Sprite grows like a weed in my other two tanks. So I am hoping it takes off in this tank as well. I have to plants of it in there now. I started off with 2 plants of Water Sprite about a month ago and now its in all of my tanks.
Old 02-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Well if it isn't growing fast enough you can always throw in a large fake plant temporarily
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote