Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-14-2013, 11:28 PM   #1 
ZaydeeKaine

1 Inflamed gill

I bought my sweet Vladimir today, and he has 1 inflamed gill. I guess I didn't really think about it when I bought him, but now I'm noticing it. And it's just one inflamed gill, not both. He is in a 1 gallon tank, with a light, a heater, and the water has been treated with a conditioner. He has rocks, and a little "log" to hide in. He looks fine with no "cotton" or strange bulges although he does seem to have a "betta beard." Why might he have only one inflamed gill? I bought some "Betta Fix Remedy" which is a Betta Antibiotic (aka Ampicillin) but it will arrive in 3-5 days. Did I make the right choice in purchasing that; do you think I should get something else to fix him? He still has an appetite because I fed him today and he definitely ate the 3 pellets I gave him in under 5 minutes.
ZaydeeKaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #2 
aemaki09

Please dont use the bettafix or anything that has fix at the end of it. It has tea tree (or something similar) oil in it and it can damage your bettas labrynth organ.

I bet he's inflamed because he probably had a lot of ammonia in his store cup. I would either treat with just clean warm water.
If you dont notice improvement after a few days you can treat for up to 10 days by adding about a teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon (predissolved) and doing a 100% water change every day (unless he's in a cycled or 5+ gallon tank, then just do a large water change every day) when you add new water add back in the amount of salt you removed. Say you were doing a 50% water change on a 2 gallon tank, put back in 1 tsp.

If all else fails and he doesnt do any better then treat with some broad spectrum antibiotics. But, unless he is acting super lethargic and weird I wouldnt think this is a big concern.

Goodluck
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:17 AM   #3 
stuntman2946

my guy had this when i first got him and within a few days of being in his new home the infimation went down and now he looks normal
stuntman2946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #4 
ZaydeeKaine

I'm a bit hesitant on adding salt to the water because aren't Betta fish fresh water fish?
Old 02-15-2013, 01:07 PM   #5 
Luimeril

aquarium salt is just fine. :3 a little added to the water helps with things like ammonia burns and perks them up a little when they feel blah. adding a little to his water won't hurt him one bit. i'm actually treating my new girl with it for ammonia burns on her gills and i already see an improvement!

just add a teaspoon per gallon of water to a cup, mix in water, and add it to his water, a little at a time so you don't shock him. a little ever 10 minutes or so should do it. : D
Luimeril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #6 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaydeeKaine View Post
I'm a bit hesitant on adding salt to the water because aren't Betta fish fresh water fish?
Aquarium salt isn't the same as the salt for salt water. I used aquarium salt a lot for my tail biters and they never have adverse side effects
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 
ZaydeeKaine

Okay, so I bought some aquarium salt. I did a 25% water change today with the aquarium salt/conditioner/water mixture. I plan to do it again every 3 days for 2 weeks or less if he gets better, but in 1 week I want to do a 100% water change.
I bought Vladimir some freeze-dried bloodworms; what's your opinion on those? It says they're "Betta snacks" and I want to treat my poor fishy like a king while he's healing. Are they really Betta snacks or should I not use them?
Old 02-15-2013, 07:42 PM   #8 
xShainax

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaydeeKaine View Post
I bought Vladimir some freeze-dried bloodworms; what's your opinion on those? It says they're "Betta snacks" and I want to treat my poor fishy like a king while he's healing. Are they really Betta snacks or should I not use them?
I feed them to my betta's once a week. They can cause bloat if given every day
xShainax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:37 PM   #9 
callistra

No more than one once a week and they must be thoroughly soaked in a cup with some tank/treated water for at least 10minutes to thoroughly soften before feeding. It's basically like feeding a really dry potato chip.

What size is your tank and what is the temp?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #10 
ZaydeeKaine

My tank is 1 gallon and it goes anywhere between 72 to 75. I heard that a Betta needs 75-80 degrees but I can't find a heater powerful enough yet small enough to fit in my tank.

Tags
ampicillin, betta, gill, inflamation, inflamed gills