Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 01:27 AM   #1 
howellt

Unhappy I bought a tail biter. Help :/

Well, I've been wanting a betta fish for some time, and on a whim I asked my dad to put money into my account, and my friend I drove out to Petsmart and bought my fish and what not last Friday.

On the second-third day I noticed he had chunks of his tail missing. I thought it was due to stress since he was getting used to a new environment. To me the confusing thing was he was still making bubble nests, so I thought he was happy? Well now I keep seeing him chase his tail, and today I noticed his tail has just gotten worse.
A few Days Ago:

Today:

I'll admit, he's in a one gallon tank, with one silk plant (he had a plastic before tonight) and a tiny pagoda.
I don't quite have enough money for a new tank yet (after researching, I realize my mistake of having a "small bowl"). So I was hoping of getting him a 2-4 gallon tank or bowl. I can't have something too huge for him since I live in a dorm room. Hopefully in the future I can look into a heater and a filter if need be.

I just want to keep Mage alive for as long as possible. Please help. D:
Attached Images

howellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:52 AM   #2 
Julio1983

Wow that's se serious tail biting :(
Poor little guy!
I think getting a bigger tank would be a good idea because it could keep him fr being bored if there is more room and might distract him from biting his fins.
Is his bowl heated? Hi water needs to be very warm and clean for his fins to heal
Julio1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:17 AM   #3 
shellieca
Reference Team

Some won't stop tail biting but for him I'd start with getting something bigger. Go to wal-mart, target, Kohls, 99 cent store any place like that & find an inexpensive glass container that's bigger than what you have or a rubber maid type container for the time being. Petsmart had their 10g (has filter & heater) & 5.5g (filter but no heater) Top Fin kits on sale when I was there yesterday. They have a 2.5g for about $15, then you'd just need a heater, no filter required. You'll need an in tank thermometer to make sure the water temp stays 78-80F. There's no guarantee these measures will stop the tail biting but the chances are good. He needs more plants &/or a cave for him to hide in, you can use a clean coffee mug.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:25 AM   #4 
Julio1983

Oh I like the idea of using a mug for them to hide in! Good one :)
Old 02-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #5 
howellt

Thanks for the advice guys, and no his tank isn't heated. I have a thermometer in there right now though to keep watch on the temp. I have 2 other plants I can put in the tank right now, should I putting another one in, or do you think it would be too crowded?

I'm curious though, should I pick up some aquarium salt to put in when I change his water today? I'll see what I can do with another aquarium after I buy my art supplies (being an art major is expensive. X___X) I might not be able to get something bigger for the size I need until Next week sometime since my ride to Petsmart is gone for the weekend. The tanks at Meijer had like huge amounts of glue holding the sides together, and I didn't quite want to trust that.
howellt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:43 PM   #6 
Julio1983

I maybe add stress coat to the water instead of ur water conditioner as it helps with fin growth
Old 02-15-2013, 09:34 PM   #7 
callistra

More info please: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote