Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-13-2013, 11:46 PM   #71 
callistra

He does look worse.. he's no longer holding himself upright and he is very clamped.. His gills are red which says maybe ammonia poisoning..

How often are you changing the water in that cup? Ammonia will build VERY quickly. I would do 2 100% daily.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 02:49 AM   #72 
dougan

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He does look worse.. he's no longer holding himself upright and he is very clamped.. His gills are red which says maybe ammonia poisoning..

How often are you changing the water in that cup? Ammonia will build VERY quickly. I would do 2 100% daily.
Hi Callistra,

I've been changing the cup water out twice since you told me to begin doing so on Monday of this week. On Wednesday I changed the water 3 times.

I took majesticstorm's suggestion and when I perform the water change, I syphon out most of the water from the cup with a turkey baster (she told me it would be less stressful for him that way). I then replenish the cup water with the water from the tank I'm floating him in (which I just tested for ammonia and it came back 0 ppm). Then I replenish the floating tank water with Prime-treated water from yet another 1 gallon tank that I have sitting for the purpose of replenishing water in the float tank.

When I syphon the water out of his cup, I take out enough water so the water level is just above him. Is this sufficient as 100% water change?

An update:

About 3 hours before your last post, I tried feeding him an Omega One pellet and he went for it, but spit it out. So then I tried feeding him the Omega One flakes and he ate about 4-5 very small flakes.

You're right, he does appear to be worse, but when I put him in the clear measuring cup, he seemed to perk up for a little while. And I take his eating the Omega One flakes as an encouraging sign.

I am, however, concerned that the thickness of the measuring cup walls will make it difficult for the cup water to be the same temperature as the tank water. So tomorrow I'll pick up a thermometer that I can place in the cup to verify that the cup and tank water temperatures are equal.

Should I stay the course as far as how I'm treating him? Please let me know if I should be doing anything differently.

Thank you.
dougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #73 
callistra

So remind me are you doing anything but just clean water?
Old 02-15-2013, 11:28 PM   #74 
dougan

All I'm doing right now is changing the water in his float cup and replenishing with Prime-treated water from the float tank.

I've also been testing the ammonia level about 3 hours after the last water change, and the ammonia level seems to rise to between 0.25 ppm and 0.50 ppm (from between 0 ppm and 0.25 ppm immediately after the most recent water change). So since yesterday, I've been changing his water every 3-4 hours in an effort to keep the ammonia levels as low as possible (except for when I fall asleep, in which case there may be about 5-6 hours since the last water change).

I've been syphoning the cup water out with a turkey baster until the water level is just above his body, and then replenish. So it isn't literally a 100% water change.

Also, I've been able to successfully feed him 4-5 Omega One flakes twice daily. He absolutely refused the Omega One pellets.

I was considering moving him to the 5 gallon tank that I purchased and putting him in a mesh breeder that I purchased. Since the breeder is close to the surface of the water, he will continue to have a short vertical trip for air, and I can also probably reduce the frequency of the water changes, since it should take longer for ammonia levels to rise in a 5 gallon tank as opposed to his small measuring cup.

What do you think of moving him to the 5 gallon tank?

I also purchased a bottle of the Tetra SafeStart. Would you recommend it?

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM   #75 
callistra

I think using the mesh breeder is a good idea because ammonia won't build so quickly. In a 5g you only need to do twice weekly 50% and 100% changes.

I wouldn't bother with most bacterial supplements. I never had luck with that one myself. It's also not the right time to try cycling the tank. It needs to be kept pristine while he is healing.

Try getting some fresh organic garlic. Crush it and soak the omega one pellets in it for a few minutes to absorb the garlic juice and see if he will eat them then.

I think at this point since he is getting worse he clearly needs something else. You could either try treating conservatively with aquarium salt and epsom salt - 1 tsp per gallon each, predissolved and added slowly in order to avoid shock. The Epsoms in particular need to be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no dyes, perfumes or additives of any kind. I use CVS Pharmacy brand. Or you could look for a good internal antibiotic like Kanaplex or Triple Sulfa may also be effective.
Old 02-16-2013, 12:01 PM   #76 
dougan

Callistra,

I set up the 5 gallon tank last night. The water is treated with Prime and heated. As you can see from the picture, I'm trying to keep the water level low enough so that he can easily get to the surface. As it is, I may need to actually reduce the water level.

As far as the procedure goes, I was thinking of predissolving the salts in a smaller container, adding the predissolved solution all at once to the 5 gallon tank, then floating him for 1 hour for temperature and then begin acclimating him to the new water 1 tbs every 10-15 minutes for an hour. Is this correct?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 PM   #77 
callistra

That would work too. Good luck!!
Old 02-16-2013, 05:48 PM   #78 
dougan

Quick update

I'm in the process of acclimating my fish to the new tank. He's in his cup in the top right portion of the tank.

He is still having trouble swimming to the surface for air. The water level has to be pretty low for him to be able to get to the top, so I'm probably going to have to siphon out a considerable amount of water once I release him into the breeder.

My question is this: can a betta suffocate if it can't reach the surface for air?

Thank you.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 07:28 PM   #79 
callistra

Yes, a betta can suffocate if it can't reach the surface. Just make sure he can get up for air.
Old 02-16-2013, 07:50 PM   #80 
dougan

Thank you, Callistra.

I'm also having trouble with the temperature. The temperature in the tank is reading 79 F, but the temp in the cup is 77 F. I tried using the other thermometer in the cup and it also reads 77 F. I've tried moving the cup to the same side as the thermometer because I thought maybe the water is warmer there than where I first positioned the cup. I just repositioned him about 30 minutes ago.

And I can't allow the water in the cup to go too high because he then won't be able to reach the surface, but I'm worried about there being too high a concentration of ammonia for the amount of water present.

I've been acclimating him now for almost three hours. How long can I allow him to be in that small amount of water while I wait for the temperatures to equalize?

Thank you, again, for your help. I appreciate it.

Last edited by dougan; 02-16-2013 at 07:54 PM.