Originally Posted by callistra
He does look worse.. he's no longer holding himself upright and he is very clamped.. His gills are red which says maybe ammonia poisoning..
How often are you changing the water in that cup? Ammonia will build VERY quickly. I would do 2 100% daily.
I've been changing the cup water out twice since you told me to begin doing so on Monday of this week. On Wednesday I changed the water 3 times.
I took majesticstorm's suggestion and when I perform the water change, I syphon out most of the water from the cup with a turkey baster (she told me it would be less stressful for him that way). I then replenish the cup water with the water from the tank I'm floating him in (which I just tested for ammonia and it came back 0 ppm). Then I replenish the floating tank water with Prime-treated water from yet another 1 gallon tank that I have sitting for the purpose of replenishing water in the float tank.
When I syphon the water out of his cup, I take out enough water so the water level is just above him. Is this sufficient as 100% water change?
About 3 hours before your last post, I tried feeding him an Omega One pellet and he went for it, but spit it out. So then I tried feeding him the Omega One flakes and he ate about 4-5 very small flakes.
You're right, he does appear to be worse, but when I put him in the clear measuring cup, he seemed to perk up for a little while. And I take his eating the Omega One flakes as an encouraging sign.
I am, however, concerned that the thickness of the measuring cup walls will make it difficult for the cup water to be the same temperature as the tank water. So tomorrow I'll pick up a thermometer that I can place in the cup to verify that the cup and tank water temperatures are equal.
Should I stay the course as far as how I'm treating him? Please let me know if I should be doing anything differently.