Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-08-2013, 10:10 PM   #51 
AyalaCookiejar

It's a good size plant. He'll have something, now, to rest on and hide in so his tank isn't so huge and bare. I know they don't hide often, but they do like cover and tall resting plants :) he will get used to it. I have a male who I had to take one ornament out at a time and replace because he seemed to like the decor he was familiar with and it took him some time to warm up to new decor.

I can't wait to see what it looks like when its all done :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:32 PM   #52 
callistra

Great! He looks so much happier now!

Make sure when the hammock comes in you remove the wire.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM   #53 
gargleknobs

I will, definitely.

Today is day one of no salt. King is currently being acclimated.
I can't wait for the filter to get here, I feel bad having to move him around this much. Even in a 5 gallon, the water gets cloudy after about 3 days. I still haven't had a chance to test the water, though I'm starting the think that the ammonia is probably too high, which probably contributed to his fin rot.

I've already ordered Stress Coat, but from what I have noticed, it doesn't have any ammonia neutralizing properties. API sells something called Ammo Lock that supposedly neutralizes ammonia. Any idea if this is worth investing in until his filter arrives/tank is cycled?
gargleknobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:15 PM   #54 
callistra

chemicals won't replace water changes. The best case chemicals like that only temporarily convert ammonia into a less toxic form called ammonium but without a biofilter to eat through it, it simply converts back in 24-48 hours.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 04:21 PM   #55 
gargleknobs

I still plan on the frequent water changes, I just wasn't sure the the ammonia in the water was hurting him between changes. I was cleaning it every other day when he was in the 1 gallon and it looks like for now the changes in the new 5 gallon are going to be every 3rd day.
Old 02-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #56 
gargleknobs

Checking in again.

King's finrot appears to be gone and he is very happy in his new tank. I can't be sure, but his fins look fuller than they did, so I am assuming that his fins are beginning to grow back. (yay!) He has returned to his normal colors - no strange blue or gold tint. His dorsal fin spots are very hard to see now, though, which is strange. My best guess is it's a result of battling the fin rot. My fingers are crossed that they'll return as he continues to heal.

All of the stuff I ordered for him has finally arrived. He is now set up with one large plant, a betta hammock with the wire removed, a heater, a filter, and 4 marimo moss balls (all of which have been in quarantine for the last week and a half.)
I am using Stress Coat in his water and feeding him his new Spectrum betta food.

Here is his new home!

Thanks again to everyone for your help.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:09 PM   #57 
AyalaCookiejar

Yay! Glad he's doing better. Sounds like he's in great hands. :)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:42 AM   #58 
BettaGurl79

I'm So happy King has returned to full health. His new tank is gorgeous! If your looking for more silk plants for your tank try the Bio-orb small and medium plants. My betta, Flotsom loves them. He has taken to one of the larger plants and rests on it throughout the day. It now his official spot =) I bought mine on amazon =)
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote