Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 02:23 AM   #71 
Chard56

I her dat!
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 AM   #72 
Phaydra

I agree there should be a class for them. After all if not for VTs the majority of North Americans would be clueless of Betta Splendens existence. If you are many of you are truly interested in showing them maybe you should research the standards for VTs in other countries and start submitting them in color classes till they have no choice but to add a class for them.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #73 
Hadoken Kitty

Honestly, I would say that in a VT, I wouldn't mind the anal fin being longer. This is one tail type that I think looks better with a long anal. Also, the under part of the caudal shouldn't be raised at all, unless flaring. These are just standards that I would have for my own bettas. I'm sure we could compile an actual set of standards, but I doubt everyone would agree with my own. Everyone's standards are different.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #74 
dramaqueen
Banned

It looks like I'm not the only one who dislikes that other forum.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 12:46 PM   #75 
Skyewillow

They BEG to be disliked...

Question of the day: Where is the standard that we're currently aiming for? I think if people start swamping them with entries, not only will they have to take them back as a class, but they'll have to adopt OUR terms too.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 01:38 PM   #76 
Xaltd1

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror;1432401 i think you meant to say social [I
stigma[/i]....social stigmata sounds like the worst possible kind of social anxiety you could get (and this is from someone whose own social anxiety borders on that line!)
ROTFLMFAO!!!!!!
You made my day! (I wonder if the big drug companies are working on a drug for stigmata? I can't wait to see the commercials for that! "Feeling like you've been nailed to a cross lately? Then try Stigmatagone!")
Let me just add that the ebook advertised on the masthead of this site RECOMMENDS starting w/pet store bettas. They really don't get into why, but I suppose the lives of both parent fish (& their fry) are on the line during the process & they don't want a beginner spending $$$ for expensive fish plus shipping. That would be discouraging. That said, I ordered a $50 banana yellow HM to breed w/another imported yellow HM girl. Of course, I saw a brighter yellow male in Petco the next day
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:18 PM   #77 
Phaydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
They BEG to be disliked...

Question of the day: Where is the standard that we're currently aiming for? I think if people start swamping them with entries, not only will they have to take them back as a class, but they'll have to adopt OUR terms too.
You are going to have more luck going with standards that are already in place. Plus to show a betta you pay the IBC a subscription fee and agree to their terms more or less. That being said you catch more flies with honey then you do vinegar. Demanding of a established organization is a good way to get yourself or VTs permanently disqualified.
Phaydra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:51 PM   #78 
Skyewillow

Didn't think they'd have a standard for a non-existent class.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:03 PM   #79 
Chard56

Stigmatagone, Ha ha ha! Good one. Speaking of "that" forum I made more friends on there from having a bad rep than the rest of the goody two shoes put together. I think it took me two weeks to go from a zero reputation to a negative 125. Here are some European Veiltail standards. http://www.bettas4all.nl/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=9081
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:24 PM   #80 
LittleBettaFish

I do have to say Chard, I am pretty sure I found a thread ages ago with some of your fish (I think it was DTs) and I can see where members of the UB were coming from with some of their criticisms. Some of your fish had very uneven lobes and poor finnage and I felt that these fish were not a prime example of your breeding program.

http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...asdt1303116604

For example that is a male of yours I think should have been culled or given away.

While I think UB comes down fairly hard sometimes (they also seem to have malware or something attached to their site as my computer hates it), I think you have to be fair in saying some of the flack you might have received was warranted.

I always think it is in poor taste to criticise one forum on another. I'm sure everyone on here would be up in arms if Bettafish.com was getting routinely raked over the coals by UB.

Also this isn't me being biased etc. as I have only like 20 odd posts or so on UB and thousands here.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote