Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 03:12 PM   #1 
Mal72

Oh no! Betta in a bowl!!!

My brother just bought my 2 year old niece a Betta. He called and asked me general care questions. I asked him what type of tank he got and he said he got one of those little Barbie bowls from Petco. If I had to guess, I would say that it was probably around half of a gallon. He said the temperature was 80 right now and he would monitor it. He told me that he would likely give the fish to me after she got bored with it, but I don't have the room right now. I have 7 Bettas and one of them is in QT while his tank finishes cycling. I want to get him settled before I take on anymore. What advice should I give him? Everything he bought--pink gravel, Barbie bowl, etc was purely novelty. I personally prefer natural colors in my tanks and I do not have the money to go out and buy him the proper set up. I don't think he has the money either. I'm not going to take the fish from him, though. It is my niece's fish. I have a a smaller 1 gallon tank that is fully cycled (as my on call tank) and I could split the cycling 10 gallon tank if needed. For now, what should I tell him to keep the fish alive and healthy in these conditions?
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:30 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

Hmmm....if the fish's fins aren't clamped and the temp is warm...and the fish is eating...gosh this is hard. I get your predicament. On the one hand, we all know what is ideal for bettas, but on the other, we don't want to hurt our loved ones or cause them any un-needed stress. Well, I'd see if he would be okay with getting a 2 gallon. As long as the water parameters are okay and the fish isn't clamping up and being sick, then a half gallon can work until a better tank is available.

I noticed that a lot of times we all forget that while these are fish, we are still dealing with people. Ignorance of fish care is no reason to be hostile with anyone. I'm sure you wouldn't be, though. (:
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:47 PM   #3 
callistra

He'll need 50% changes every day and 100% change by day 3 in a half gallon.

Water changes should be done with same temp water, and premixed with conditioner before using the water for a water change. He can get gallon water jugs and rinse them well in hot water but no chems and use those. 50% should use a new clean turkey baster, again just rinsed with no chemicals, to suck out half the water, and then add half back. The 100% change, the betta should be cupped in a plastic solo type cup, not a net, and set aside while the bowl and gravel is rinsed well (water only). Water again should be same temp. Then the betta can be floated in the fresh bowl for an hour while a few tablespoons of water are added to the cup every 10 minutes. Finally the betta can be released.

Last edited by callistra; 02-16-2013 at 03:50 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:50 PM   #4 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Hmmm....if the fish's fins aren't clamped and the temp is warm...and the fish is eating...gosh this is hard. I get your predicament. On the one hand, we all know what is ideal for bettas, but on the other, we don't want to hurt our loved ones or cause them any un-needed stress. Well, I'd see if he would be okay with getting a 2 gallon. As long as the water parameters are okay and the fish isn't clamping up and being sick, then a half gallon can work until a better tank is available.

I noticed that a lot of times we all forget that while these are fish, we are still dealing with people. Ignorance of fish care is no reason to be hostile with anyone. I'm sure you wouldn't be, though. (:
No, I'm over here now and the fish looks great. He is actually one of the prettiest Veiltails I have ever seen because he actually has a spade-shaped tail. And he is eating already. The temperature in the room stays warm and the tank is reading okay. I told him that he would likely need to perform more water changes in this case, but other than that I'm not sure.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:13 PM   #5 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
He'll need 50% changes every day and 100% change by day 3 in a half gallon.

Water changes should be done with same temp water, and premixed with conditioner before using the water for a water change. He can get gallon water jugs and rinse them well in hot water but no chems and use those. 50% should use a new clean turkey baster, again just rinsed with no chemicals, to suck out half the water, and then add half back. The 100% change, the betta should be cupped in a plastic solo type cup, not a net, and set aside while the bowl and gravel is rinsed well (water only). Water again should be same temp. Then the betta can be floated in the fresh bowl for an hour while a few tablespoons of water are added to the cup every 10 minutes. Finally the betta can be released.

Okay thank you Callistra. :) I have a gravel siphon that he can borrow.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:32 PM   #6 
callistra

You can't use a siphon in something so small because water will be removed too quickly. That's why I suggested a turkey baster.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:35 PM   #7 
jadaBlu

How about seeing if you can get a tank via craigslist or freecycle.com. To use freecycle you have to post to give something away to request a free item but it can be any decent usable item you no longer need.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:56 PM   #8 
Mal72

Okay thanks for the suggestion of the turkey baster!

And...we found a good tank on craigslist, but "Boy" (two year olds are so creative with names ;) ) has been staying at my house every night since it's been really cold lately.