Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #1 
Afayed

House sitting betta

So I started house sitting (just for a week) Last night when I noticed the family's betta. Since I arrived last night, I thought he was being a bit lethargic since the lights were out and it was night time. However, this morning, nothing seems to have changed. He still doesnt really move, he looks kinda, well, gross(Idk my betta usually seems quite clean).

Im not sure if they condition his water or not, but, Im worried he might have some things wrong with him.

He's in an unfiltered, unheated 1 gallon tank.
Im not sure about his water parameters, I dont have any testing materials with me (I'll prolly go home later and get some to test his water)

His fins are clamped, it takes him awhile to eat his food and he looks gunky and kind of gross......

Besides the fact that I dont want him to die while he is in my care, I also really want to improve his quality of living :C (I feel really bad for him, my betta is spoiled LOL )
Afayed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 
callistra

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 More info please

I would start by doing a series of a couple 50% water changes with same temp water (use thermometer in bowl to match it)
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #3 
Afayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 More info please

I would start by doing a series of a couple 50% water changes with same temp water (use thermometer in bowl to match it)
No clue on most of those, just got here last night, I dont really want to pester the owners about it, I'd feel kind of awkward making them tell me the things that they know

Housing
What size is your tank?1G
What temperature is your tank?Unknown, I estimate 65-70
Does your tank have a filter?no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?no
Is your tank heated?no
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?Betta bites(apparently color enhancing)
How often do you feed your betta fish?No clue on the owner's feed schedule, I'll be feeding him 4 pieces a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?No clue.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?Unknown
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?Unknown

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?Unknown, I will test later today or tomorrow

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?Do not know his previous condition, he looks unhealthy and gunky to me
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?Again, unknown previous condition, he is currently acting lethargic
When did you start noticing the symptoms?Unknown beginning of symptoms, I came last night to watch the house and noticed him
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?Will run to my house and grab him some water conditioner and maybe some AQ salt just in case (I have IAL but I dont want to gunk up their tank)
Does your fish have any history of being ill?Unknown
How old is your fish (approximately)?Unknown, looks to be about a year or so
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #4 
callistra

Okay then at this point I would do a series of 2-3 50% water changes followed by a 100% change with same temp water.. pretty sure I've explained how to do all this to you? You need to find their conditioner

Unfortunately that betta can't live like this.. they need to upgrade to a 2g and they need a heater and a thermometer to keep the water temp to a constant 78-80F.

He currently has fin melt from the poor water conditions and there may be other issues we're unaware of at this point.
Old 02-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #5 
Afayed

Quote:
Okay then at this point I would do a series of 2-3 50% water changes followed by a 100% change with same temp water.. pretty sure I've explained how to do all this to you? You need to find their conditioner

Unfortunately that betta can't live like this.. they need to upgrade to a 2g and they need a heater and a thermometer to keep the water temp to a constant 78-80F.

He currently has fin melt from the poor water conditions and there may be other issues we're unaware of at this point.
Yupyup! I dont see conditioner ANYWHERE...... poor guy....

Im not sure what heater I could grab for such a small tank, I have conditioner I could use at home to help.

Lol... sent his owners a text asking if I could give him a water change and put some AQ salt in there to help give him some "rejuvenation" and they replied:

"Dont know why in the hell he would need that. How do you know he needs anything"

Im just like : =___=
Old 02-16-2013, 05:00 PM   #6 
callistra

Betta's not going to make it in their care. I suggest just doing what is needed while you're there and directing them to this site when they get home.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:30 PM   #7 
Afayed

Quote:
Betta's not going to make it in their care. I suggest just doing what is needed while you're there and directing them to this site when they get home.

I feel really really bad for him..............