Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 07:52 PM   #1 
valen1014

Please help, choosing female

Hi everyone,

I recently got this boy (I'll admit it was an impulse buy encouraged by my fiancÚ ). I want to breed him since I really like his color and haven't seen one like him before. I would like to work on shortening his anal fin a bit.

I asked the breeder for a similar female (the first female below, not sure if they are related or not), but I feel she has too much red wash in her and I will end up with many reds. I also can't see her topline very well from the picture so I'm a little hesitant.

I found this second girl that I really like. I think her topline is pretty off but she has a nice 180 degree caudal. She's a copper-based black. But I don't know if I'll have a shot at getting offspring similar to the father.

Any tips, and opinions would be great!
Attached Images

valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:10 PM   #2 
Hadoken Kitty

I would most definitely pick the second female, but I would message the seller about a sister that has a short anal. The father's anal isn't all that bad in length, but the female's anal is long as well. This will end up in long anal finned fry. It seems that a LOT of breeders (especially AB) are having long anal finned girls.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:19 PM   #3 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
I would most definitely pick the second female, but I would message the seller about a sister that has a short anal. The father's anal isn't all that bad in length, but the female's anal is long as well. This will end up in long anal finned fry. It seems that a LOT of breeders (especially AB) are having long anal finned girls.
Thank you so much. I just asked him about that =] I noticed that too, many have long anal fins. I hope that it won't be difficult for him to breed with such long anal fin. I tried to breed a rosetail before and that was a big problem
Old 02-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #4 
Hadoken Kitty

Oh, yea. Rosetails aren't breedable. I found that out as well, but thankfully people on here talked me out of it before my attempt with my rosetail male.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:41 PM   #5 
Hail0788

I would go with the second one as well.
Hail0788 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:47 PM   #6 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
Oh, yea. Rosetails aren't breedable. I found that out as well, but thankfully people on here talked me out of it before my attempt with my rosetail male.
It's because of their fins that they are unbreedable? Like... is it a mechanical issue or a genetic issue?
Old 02-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #7 
Hadoken Kitty

It's genetic. Another person on here tried breeding with rosetails and they turned out x-factor. Basically when you breed a rosetail, their fry will turn up as x-factor fry. Their scales are all uneven and their fins can be...well....rather ugly. This is what they can look like.

I got permission from Chard to use his photos, which is why I also put his name and the site's url. xD
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2013, 09:23 PM   #8 
valen1014

Oh wow o.o I didn't know that's what you meant by X-factor. Thanks for explaining it! I'm glad I didn't get that male to breed afterall.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:26 PM   #9 
Hadoken Kitty

Yea. I'm really thankful for Chard's pictures. I didn't have them until today. X-factoring is really hard to understand unless given a really good example. I won't lie, I think after seeing these pics I get it more now that I thought I had before.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #10 
trilobite

X factor sucks, it can hide in the genes for many generations before popping back up. Female 2 is amazing by the way
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote