Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 11:22 PM   #21 
callistra

You can do fish-in cycling. The guide talks about that too and I outlined it above.

However, you shouldn't cycle a tank with a sick fish. You should focus on healing him first.

Betta's dont' bite their bottom and top fins. Either it's snagging or fin rot.. there's so many chunks gone he actually looks like a crown tail, but his original photo makes it obvious he's not.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:28 PM   #22 
limitless

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
You can do fish-in cycling. The guide talks about that too and I outlined it above.

However, you shouldn't cycle a tank with a sick fish. You should focus on healing him first.

Betta's dont' bite their bottom and top fins. Either it's snagging or fin rot.. there's so many chunks gone he actually looks like a crown tail, but his original photo makes it obvious he's not.

Alright so I will wait to cycle,

My thoughts are that is fin rot, I mean I don't see anything he could snag on and I removed the plants that have metal. He is really spazzy too, I am not sure if that affects anything, and I noticed the ends of his tail are bent :( Maybe I should remove all the plants for a week and see if that helps?

I feed him in the morning and night 3 pellets of food so I don't think he would bite his tail out of hunger, there is a giant chunk missing from his tail fin (I took a picture, its on my very first post circled in yellow). And I have plenty of plants and decor, He aquarium is right by me at my desk and I occasionally have him follow my finger (interaction). So I am not really sure how to help him.

Maybe I should start him on Aquarium salts again? When doing that type pf treatment what are your recommendations water changes? I was told 100% daily for 7 days.
limitless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:13 PM   #23 
callistra

Anything that has metal needs to be removed for sure. The rest you should test with the panty hose.

You can try aquarium salt again - 1 tsp per gallon up to 10 days.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta behavior, fin issue