Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > The Lounge
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #16611 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombalurina View Post
Have you told him that they live in Thailand...as in, the Thailand on the equator, where it is consistently hot and the water temperature is too? I'd love to know where he gets his "knowledge" from. He should stick to bugs.

Someone once told me (on Yahoo, predictably) that bettas live in elephants' footprints in Africa and therefore don't need anything other than a quart bowl.

Anti-rant: Jervis Bay is beautiful! Just got back from a three night holiday there, and despite spending the first night puking my guts up, the rest of the time was lovely. Because the bay is a marine park, we say dolphins, rays of many kinds, heaps of fish, all kinds of anenomes, and an octopus, just chilling within a 100m of the beach. Most amazing place for snorkelling, with the Guiness World Record for the whitest sand and stupidly beautiful clear water.
He's well aware of their origins, though I'm not sure he realises that it really is consistently hot. This guy really should stick to bugs, I agree with you wholeheartedly. He just won't listen to anyone's opinion/fact stating but his own.

Your holiday sounds AMAZING!
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:09 PM   #16612 
ThePearlFish

I was given some cran-tan ^_^ my thirst is being quenched. And watching Monk too ^_^.
ThePearlFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:03 AM   #16613 
dramaqueen
Banned

Going to a coffee at my clubhouse. A bunch of idiots are going to be there.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #16614 
Hadoken Kitty

What's the deal with some people lately? Seems like they feel it is their sole responsibility to bash on another. I'm not usually one for finding someone I dislike (as I literally hate no one), but some people are getting under my skin. Just seeing the way that some people treat each other. Ugh. How hard is it to just BE POLITE!?
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #16615 
pittipuppylove

*sigh* I'm getting rather tired of people pointing out my clothing choices. I'm an enviornmental science major who likes to work in the field and get dirty - there is no way that I'm going to wear anything close to designer clothes if I'm going to be wading through mud and muck or hiking through fields full of ticks and burrs. I wear clothes that are fitting for the job at hand, which usually means hiking boots and something that is lightweight, fast drying, and is durable and comfortable. They'd have no problem if a guy dressed like this - but heaven forbid that a female would choose to dress practically
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 04:14 PM   #16616 
Hadoken Kitty

Pitti, my favorite teacher (geography) that I've ever had dressed like you. She's probably the coolest woman I know. I'd never ask her to change her clothes. That's silly. She likes to hike as well, and I can't imagine trying to do that in leggings.

Point is, there are people who appreciate the way that you dress. That might sound weird, but eh.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 11:49 PM   #16617 
Sparrowhawk

Ugh. The same guy that had a go at me, telling me I knew nothing about caring for bettas and saying they don't need heaters etc. has gone wayyyy over the line. He has claimed I am neglecting my fish by heating their tanks, and by spreading the "misinformation" that they need heaters, I'm encouraging other people to neglect their fish. He said I know nothing, that a website means nothing, that his university course that taught him that they don't need heat is far superior to any "research" I have done (I put that in quotation marks because he did) and basically I have no right to comment on anything to do with betta fish.

I was so angry I could have hit something. A very hard something, several times over. And of course this had to happen when we were in the country, at a family get-together of my partner's. My partner then had a stern word with him via text for speaking so rudely to me on a public forum, which earned us another blasting, and both this guy and his partner are now saying they want nothing to do with us, and that we're horrible people.

I am still so angry that I could hit something. I'm actually so angry at being called a neglectful pet owner that I feel nauseous. I put so much care into my fish, and so much of my time and money, sometimes I take better care of them than myself. And to be labelled as neglectful because I heat their tanks... It honestly makes me sick. Actually, I think I'm going to be. Ugh.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:01 AM   #16618 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrowhawk View Post
Ugh. The same guy that had a go at me, telling me I knew nothing about caring for bettas and saying they don't need heaters etc. has gone wayyyy over the line. He has claimed I am neglecting my fish by heating their tanks, and by spreading the "misinformation" that they need heaters, I'm encouraging other people to neglect their fish. He said I know nothing, that a website means nothing, that his university course that taught him that they don't need heat is far superior to any "research" I have done (I put that in quotation marks because he did) and basically I have no right to comment on anything to do with betta fish.

I was so angry I could have hit something. A very hard something, several times over. And of course this had to happen when we were in the country, at a family get-together of my partner's. My partner then had a stern word with him via text for speaking so rudely to me on a public forum, which earned us another blasting, and both this guy and his partner are now saying they want nothing to do with us, and that we're horrible people.

I am still so angry that I could hit something. I'm actually so angry at being called a neglectful pet owner that I feel nauseous. I put so much care into my fish, and so much of my time and money, sometimes I take better care of them than myself. And to be labelled as neglectful because I heat their tanks... It honestly makes me sick. Actually, I think I'm going to be. Ugh.
I laugh whole heartily at that guy. You want to know what I learned from my university? Absolutely nothing. I learned everything I needed to learn for my subjects online from other knowledgeable people who knew the subject. And what is this place? A place with knowledgeable people who know about bettas... hmm where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, people who care for their subject know how to CARE FOR THEIR DAMNED INTERESTS!

From what I just read, you really don't need a "friend" like him anyway, people who are so close minded about what other people know is not going to benefit you in any way, shape or form.

RANT!: My darned bettas kept jumping their divider and I had to add some height to the divider and add another one for if they get over one they would have to get over the other. Well at least now I have a place to hide my heater so the viewing area is pure plants and betta.
ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:04 AM   #16619 
Hopelessaddict101

So sick of people who can't read and take things the wrong way and don't understand that eating disorders ARE A REAL PROBLEM!!

Like calling someone sick or greedy or stuck up will help them. Ugh.
Hopelessaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #16620 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
I laugh whole heartily at that guy. You want to know what I learned from my university? Absolutely nothing. I learned everything I needed to learn for my subjects online from other knowledgeable people who knew the subject. And what is this place? A place with knowledgeable people who know about bettas... hmm where have I seen this before? Oh yeah, people who care for their subject know how to CARE FOR THEIR DAMNED INTERESTS!

From what I just read, you really don't need a "friend" like him anyway, people who are so close minded about what other people know is not going to benefit you in any way, shape or form.

RANT!: My darned bettas kept jumping their divider and I had to add some height to the divider and add another one for if they get over one they would have to get over the other. Well at least now I have a place to hide my heater so the viewing area is pure plants and betta.
EXACTLY. Because an entire community of people who devote a large portion of their lives looking after these fish and making their lives better is WRONG. Yep...

I did tell my partner to apologise for the language he used, as it was unsavoury and it's better to take the high road out of a situation like that, but I won't be in a hurry to speak to them again...

Tags
bettathanyou