Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 04:27 AM   #11 
Maddybelle

I agree with everyone else - female #2 rocks! Her topline is actually great, and she'd be a great compliment to your male.
Maddybelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 05:55 AM   #12 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Female #2 is better than the first one. But she won't improve dorsal nor anal form. I suggest you be more patient and look for more balanced fins. Since the boy is a black copper, those 2 color should give you his colors. You could also work with other dark metallic or black drgn, if you don't mind a few variations.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:01 PM   #13 
valen1014

Third Option

I have a third option (sorry for not including her at first, but I had to ask for a better pic ^^; )

It's hard to tell but I think she still has the same problem with the anal fin being too long... I put the other girl for better comparison. Which is better between those two girls?

Thank you guys so much, I'm really learning a lot! ^^ I'm a newbie with this whole betta genetics world
Attached Images

valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #14 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
Female #2 is better than the first one. But she won't improve dorsal nor anal form. I suggest you be more patient and look for more balanced fins. Since the boy is a black copper, those 2 color should give you his colors. You could also work with other dark metallic or black drgn, if you don't mind a few variations.
Sorry, do you mind pointing out what's the problem with his dorsal? ^^; Is it too long? I've never really known what to look for as far as the dorsal fin goes.

I think I will take your advice and wait =] Either way, I'm not in any hurry to breed him just yet.

Last edited by valen1014; 02-17-2013 at 02:09 PM.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:14 PM   #15 
Hadoken Kitty

After looking at the male again, I can see the dorsal and anal forms needing some help. That shouldn't see any improvement until a couple of fry groups down the line. If you look at your male's anal, you can see the length and pointy parts. This isn't exactly desirable in HMs. Nor is the anal, due to it not being perfectly rounded. He is a nice male, though. When working with bettas, no matter what you choose, you won't get what you're looking for in the first round of fry anyways. I mean, you can, but typically it takes a couple of generations.

I hope this is what Indjo was talking about. If not, they can always explain it better than I did.
Hadoken Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #16 
Hadoken Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
I have a third option (sorry for not including her at first, but I had to ask for a better pic ^^; )

It's hard to tell but I think she still has the same problem with the anal fin being too long... I put the other girl for better comparison. Which is better between those two girls?

Thank you guys so much, I'm really learning a lot! ^^ I'm a newbie with this whole betta genetics world
She almost looks the exact same as number 2, lol.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #17 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken Kitty View Post
She almost looks the exact same as number 2, lol.
Yeah I think they are sisters XDD lol

So... softer edges, rounder dorsal... got it! Yep! I'm not expecting to improve anything right away, if the first time I get anything similar to him I will be happy.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:25 PM   #18 
Hadoken Kitty

About the rounded part, I meant caudal. /facepalm
Old 02-18-2013, 08:43 AM   #19 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
Sorry, do you mind pointing out what's the problem with his dorsal? ^^; Is it too long? I've never really known what to look for as far as the dorsal fin goes.

I think I will take your advice and wait =] Either way, I'm not in any hurry to breed him just yet.
+1 Hadoken

The dorsal should lean forward, preferably with very long front ray. Your boy's dorsal still leans back. Then his anal is a bit long and too "shaggy". You want equal fin lengths and smooth lining. Oh, anal is preferred leaning forward too. Other than that he has great form. He has wide ventrals, multiple caudal rays, and great top line (body).

You want a female with at least up right dorsal. Your choices has small dorsal with short front rays. See the caudal edges of your choices - you want pointy edges. And of course balanced general fin (most important). She doesn't have to have 8 rays. IMO 4 rays is good enough. In fact a 4 ray super delta would also work BUT make sure the fins are balanced and has pointy caudal edges.

Often it's impossible to get that perfect female and you would have to work for it. But at least get one with balanced fins. Create a "perfect" female so you can later easily buy new males when it's time to introduce new genes. You can also introduce DT to your line to lengthen the front dorsal rays.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #20 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by indjo View Post
+1 Hadoken

The dorsal should lean forward, preferably with very long front ray. Your boy's dorsal still leans back. Then his anal is a bit long and too "shaggy". You want equal fin lengths and smooth lining. Oh, anal is preferred leaning forward too. Other than that he has great form. He has wide ventrals, multiple caudal rays, and great top line (body).

You want a female with at least up right dorsal. Your choices has small dorsal with short front rays. See the caudal edges of your choices - you want pointy edges. And of course balanced general fin (most important). She doesn't have to have 8 rays. IMO 4 rays is good enough. In fact a 4 ray super delta would also work BUT make sure the fins are balanced and has pointy caudal edges.

Often it's impossible to get that perfect female and you would have to work for it. But at least get one with balanced fins. Create a "perfect" female so you can later easily buy new males when it's time to introduce new genes. You can also introduce DT to your line to lengthen the front dorsal rays.
Wow thank you so much. That was a great explanation!! I understood everything except why I'm looking for pointy edges in their caudal (like the kind of pointy a suntail would have?)