Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Pictures
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 11:27 PM   #1 
ZergyMonster

Divided 5.5gallon Ying/Yang tank

I have had my two male bettas in their own 1.75 gallon tanks for about 1 year and I have decided that I would give them more space and a better quality tank that is easier to clean.

For what I thought was going to be a simple "divide" and conquer mission has become a divide or die situation. My male bettas have never jumped before as I've had their tanks without a lid for over 1 year without incident. I started out with this:

Good clean and simple half divide where they were perfectly fine for 1 day, a flare here and there if they managed to see each other pass the divider.

And then came today:

I spruced up their halves with some black and white rocks with attached plants for beauty and cleaning functionality.

This is where I ran into the jumping. (I have no pictures obviously because I put them back as quick as I could before they can hurt each other)

Having no extra divider materials I had to go out and get some. This took about 1 hour where they were able to keep to themselves (thankfully).

And now the tricky part, I wanted to keep the Ying/Yang feel of the tank but I had to get it messy because the gravel was going to shift on me.

I pulled out the first divider (after placing my bettas in cups) and cut everything to size to create another divider. I then created this 3-way divide where I will be placing my clippings from my other tanks to retain water quality and to siphon water during water changes.

In the end everything is starting to work out but now my two boys, because they couldn't handle a single divide, will have to deal will a smaller swimming space but I will have peace of mind knowing they can't hurt each other.

My boys in their smaller but safe divide:

ZergyMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:10 AM   #2 
paris38

Good idea!I think it looks really nice.I like your bettas!
paris38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #3 
ZergyMonster

Thank you, once my plants start growing in I will be able to start planning what else I should add to this tank.
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #4 
valen1014

That's a great idea how you placed the dividers! It looks great. I think I have that same plant in the first picture on the right section of the tank. The one that is purpleish. I've been trying to figure out what it is since I don't think it is the typical Ludwigia (the leaves seem smaller) XD
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #5 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
That's a great idea how you placed the dividers! It looks great. I think I have that same plant in the first picture on the right section of the tank. The one that is purpleish. I've been trying to figure out what it is since I don't think it is the typical Ludwigia (the leaves seem smaller) XD
Yep, that is Red Ludwigia. Mine are kind of covered in algae at the moment.
Old 02-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #6 
valen1014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZergyMonster View Post
Yep, that is Red Ludwigia. Mine are kind of covered in algae at the moment.
Do you do anything special as far as ferts? I saw purple and just instantly thought "oh great it'll need ton of iron.." -.-
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:08 PM   #7 
ZergyMonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by valen1014 View Post
Do you do anything special as far as ferts? I saw purple and just instantly thought "oh great it'll need ton of iron.." -.-
I don't really hit my plants with much fertilizers, from what I have experienced though is that red ludwigia only does really well when it is receiving a ton of light. Though I have put in some root tabs and dose with aqueon macro and micro liquid fertilizer. I'll see if there is any significant growth compared to my other unfertilized tanks.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #8 
Alcemistnv

nice! :)

I had to do the double divide when I got my 5 gal last year because I was afraid of jumping. I also put the filter in the middle that way there was an even water distribution. However, I don't use that method anymore and stick with the single divide only for ease of cleaning (I don't have to balance the dividers in again and again)
Alcemistnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 04:47 PM   #9 
Caii

I really, really like the color scheme and your betta fish! It looks really nice! ^^

The double-divide idea was a great one, and it came out looking really spiffy.

When I got my 10 gallon tank I was agonizing over whether I should divide it and get another betta or leave it whole and get more compatible tankmates~ though I've decided to leave it whole, your double-divide idea solved the main issue I was having! If I ever get another chance to divide a nice space, I definitely will! ^_^
Caii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #10 
leahleigh

I'm extremely envious of your plants and tanks! Very nice for a first divided set up. I feel really lost when it comes to what I want with my plants and arrangements, but this helped a lot. :)

Gorgeous tanks!
leahleigh is offline   Reply With Quote