Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1 
Lunchbox148

How can I slow the current?

Hello everyone I have a MiniBow 5 gallon tank. The filter has a rather strong current. I added more filtration media to the filter but it still seems rather strong any suggestions?
Thanks
Lunchbox148 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #2 
itsuki

gang valve, they regulate the air going into the lines, usually come unit that let u split the air into 2 or more air lines but maybe they come in single ones as well. i bought a gang valve that had 2 because i wanted to run 2 filters (in 2 different tanks) with 1 air pump. theyre usually under 5 bucks and have a valve/dial that can make the current/water movement to zero. i suggest u buy a unit with 2 or more valves just incase u want to get another tank in the future. heres a link for reference. good luck :)

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
itsuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #3 
Hallyx
Reference Team

It's hard to tell from the picture, but the MiniBow QuietFlow filter looks like a power-filter, not a sponge filter that can use an adjustable restrictor valve. I stand to be corrected on this.

Your options, Lunchbox, are to install some foam around the intake. Prefilter sponges are sold at petstores. Also, you can add some foam around the outlet to slow the flow even more.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:38 PM   #4 
LoriKeet

I created a filter baffle to slow the current in my 5 gallon and it works terrifically. If you'd like me to upload a picture, I can show you how I built and installed mine. Otherwise, there's a link on the forum with directions from various users on how they went about building theirs.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #5 
Chevko

I was just about to throw that link in here for lunchbox but LoriKeet beat me to it, lol.

I second the filter baffle. Cheap, effective way to either kill or massively slow a current :D

Last edited by Chevko; 02-16-2013 at 02:24 PM. Reason: whoopsie, redundancy.
Chevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:52 PM   #6 
callistra

I wouldn't use the bottle baffle. I've seen bettas get very hurt and even die from them.

I use a silicon band (rubber bands work too) to attach a very porous sponge over the outflow instead.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:39 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

^+1

...and it also provides more room for the bacteria in a very good place for them.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #8 
LoriKeet

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I wouldn't use the bottle baffle. I've seen bettas get very hurt and even die from them.

I use a silicon band (rubber bands work too) to attach a very porous sponge over the outflow instead.
Thanks for the heads up.
LoriKeet is offline   Reply With Quote