Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2013, 10:47 PM   #171 
Sparrowhawk

As a side note, I'm just going to sheepishly and shyly admit that I have an irrational fondness to my "friends" on here. Though you guys don't know me well, and I don't know you well, I'm very fond of you indeed, however weird that sounds.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:48 PM   #172 
LittleBettaFish

What a bizarre thing to get riled up about. I mean God I think I'm going to start equating putting a heater in with my bettas as being on the same level as beating puppies and kittens.

Sounds like someone needs to get a life.

And nah it's okay. I made all these 'friends' on an Australian betta forum and I have met several of them now in real life and they were as nice in real life as they were online.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:57 PM   #173 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
What a bizarre thing to get riled up about. I mean God I think I'm going to start equating putting a heater in with my bettas as being on the same level as beating puppies and kittens.

Sounds like someone needs to get a life.

And nah it's okay. I made all these 'friends' on an Australian betta forum and I have met several of them now in real life and they were as nice in real life as they were online.
I know, right? It's funny, today I organised a "fish geek" day with a friend I met in a completely different setting, but she doesn't keep bettas, she has her entire lounge room filled with huge community tanks of tropical fish. She said she had to do the internet version of biting her tongue on that thread in the interests of not losing friends -- she works for the same nightclub I used to work for, so has to not burn bridges so as to keep these people turning up to the club and not lose money. I quit last year so I have no qualms about cutting contact with that dude, haha!

Well, I'm glad I don't seem as creepy as I thought I did. XD
Old 02-17-2013, 11:19 PM   #174 
AyalaCookiejar

I am someone who thrives on personal connections with people. In other words, I would be more likely to save 1 acquaintance of mine from a car accident than 40,000 strangers in Peru from an earthquake (its a journal entry we had to do in English).

Before anyone jumps all over me for that comment, I'd like to point out that that is natural human emotion. It would probably be difficult for you to say you'd risk your partners life to save 40,000 strangers. Now, I know that seems completely irrelevant to the topic, but....

Yes, I do become fond of people, online or not. Although neither of our lives would end if one of us never got on this site again after today, we'd notice that the other was gone, but probably wouldn't notice other members who seem to just disappear (except, maybe, the ones that drive us nuts, and I've seen a few of them. Sorry, I can't stand constant atrocious spelling and repetitive comments that either don't have a thing to do with the thread topic or are short and completely unnecessary).

In a way, I think its easier to get to know someone online because you have to actually communicate with WORDS. Sitting beside someone playing video games doesn't really help you get to know each other. So no, I don't think its weird.

Also, I am having a hard time remembering what the relevance of that first paragraph was. I know I had a point to make but I think I lost it, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 PM   #175 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I am someone who thrives on personal connections with people. In other words, I would be more likely to save 1 acquaintance of mine from a car accident than 40,000 strangers in Peru from an earthquake (its a journal entry we had to do in English).

Before anyone jumps all over me for that comment, I'd like to point out that that is natural human emotion. It would probably be difficult for you to say you'd risk your partners life to save 40,000 strangers. Now, I know that seems completely irrelevant to the topic, but....

Yes, I do become fond of people, online or not. Although neither of our lives would end if one of us never got on this site again after today, we'd notice that the other was gone, but probably wouldn't notice other members who seem to just disappear (except, maybe, the ones that drive us nuts, and I've seen a few of them. Sorry, I can't stand constant atrocious spelling and repetitive comments that either don't have a thing to do with the thread topic or are short and completely unnecessary).

In a way, I think its easier to get to know someone online because you have to actually communicate with WORDS. Sitting beside someone playing video games doesn't really help you get to know each other. So no, I don't think its weird.

Also, I am having a hard time remembering what the relevance of that first paragraph was. I know I had a point to make but I think I lost it, lol.
Maybe the point will come back to you eventually, hehe.

I agree that communicating with words is a big factor, and why I feel closer to those I communicate with online than to those who I see in person. The reason for this is that I have a lot of trouble dealing with people in person due to my anxiety, though I'm constantly working on that, and it is getting easier, but I find it much easier to really express myself through text, and find it a lot easier to really open up via text because for some reason when I'm writing rather than speaking, the right words come to mind more readily.

Another reason is the one you pointed out: the video game thing. It doesn't have to be video games though; most people I meet seem to not be happy hanging out with someone unless they're doing something, something that usually detracts from conversing and really getting to know the other person.

(I'm with you on your third paragraph about people driving you nuts with irrelevant, short comments... Yep...)
Old 02-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #176 
AyalaCookiejar

I guess my point was that I actually need to personally know someone to really connect to them or emphasize with them. I can tell a random member on here that I am sorry for their loss when they lose a fish, but if its a member I've really became aquainted with (and also familiar with their fish) its like I actually hurt for them or with them and am not just spewing sorries around (I guess I'm more saying that I'm sorry that the fish died because s/he deserved to live because they were a fish and never did any wrongs). Does that make sense? Lol.

Another reason why I like my boyfriend and don't have a ton of friends is because I CANNOT STAND when someone is constantly like, "I'm bored, lets do something, blah." I'd rather have no friends than a bunch of friends that I feel like I need to entertain all the time, and I don't feel like my boyfriend and I HAVE to entertain each other all the time, you know?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #177 
Sparrowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I guess my point was that I actually need to personally know someone to really connect to them or emphasize with them. I can tell a random member on here that I am sorry for their loss when they lose a fish, but if its a member I've really became aquainted with (and also familiar with their fish) its like I actually hurt for them or with them and am not just spewing sorries around (I guess I'm more saying that I'm sorry that the fish died because s/he deserved to live because they were a fish and never did any wrongs). Does that make sense? Lol.
Makes perfect sense. I'm the same, so made sense to me. ^.^

Quote:
Another reason why I like my boyfriend and don't have a ton of friends is because I CANNOT STAND when someone is constantly like, "I'm bored, lets do something, blah." I'd rather have no friends than a bunch of friends that I feel like I need to entertain all the time, and I don't feel like my boyfriend and I HAVE to entertain each other all the time, you know?
YES! This is exactly one of the reasons I've been culling my social circle for a while now, weeding out those who I have no real sense of friendship with, only a companion during activities if that makes sense. And to me, a "real" sense of friendship doesn't need constant hangouts. I can go months without seeing one of my best friends in person, sometimes a couple of weeks without a text, but we keep in contact from time to time, and the sense of attachment never wavers. For some, this is a problem, and I have lost friends due to not being around them in the flesh enough. But to me, friendship is an emotional/mental attachment, and doesn't require hanging out all the time.

I realise that was probably a bit repetitive, but I got a bit lost because my boyfriend was distracting me -- he's one of those can't sit still people, haha. Sending him off to play games usually works to take some of the edge off that, heh.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:50 PM   #178 
Sparrowhawk

Today, I am in so much pain it's unbelievable. Definitely need to go back to physio, this is ridiculous. And on the bloody day where my father is here, and both him and my grandmother expect me to be their servant. Thank god it's only one day a fortnight that he's here...

On the bright side, beautiful new tank lights came today! Hello 6400K goodness, and hopefully, hellooooo plant growth! I've been pining for these things for ages. So pumped that I finally have them!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #179 
Sparrowhawk

I just can't believe how much more alive the tanks look with their new lighting. I'm absolutely loving it. Everyone around me thinks I'm nuts for being so excited about some stupid tank lights, but whatever.

The frogbit I ordered arrived yesterday. There are now at least 8 different kinds of plant in each tank. The more I add, the less neat it looks, and the further away from my original plan it gets, but I'm sure the boys are loving it more and more. Eventually, during one water change, I might attempt to neaten things up and perhaps restore them to something resembling deliberate-looking, but I just have so much trouble planting stems it seems impossible to create a proper background with them until I get those long thin tweezer things. Perhaps then it'll be easier when they arrive...

Might change out the water in the uninhabited tank, adding ammonia to it only seems to be killing the plants, which is the exact opposite of what I want to happen. And according to test results of the other two planted tanks, since adding the stems water quality has improved an absolutely ridiculous amount, and a silent cycle might happen with all the nutrient sponges I've got in there now... But who knows? Guess I'll find out.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #180 
AyalaCookiejar

A fish in cycle would be fine with live plants in your uninhabited tank. Ammonia kills everything in high amounts, including plants. The silent cycle happens because the plants usually use the ammonia up before the BB... That's all I know, lol. I'm not actually sure how cycling a planted tank works but I know it will happen with time, I think, lol. I should ask OFL about that.

I'd still like to have the cycled filter in my 10 gallon when I add the plants just in case the plants would die off, I would have a back up, lol.