Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 03:01 PM   #1 
Juditko

Sponge filter: moderating current. Will this work?

New ten gallon getting set up for our betta. Decided on hydro ati sponge filter 2 since I saw several suggestions that more filtration and surface would be advantageous (that filter actually works for up to twenty gallons.). Our boy does not like current at all, so even the bit that comes bubbling out (tetra small whisper pump) could be bothersome. To calm that, I grabbed the fluval prefilter sponge from another tank and trimmed it to fit on the top of the outflow tube. This really seems to do the trick while still letting the filter run with a good airflow.

I haven't used sponge filters before, so I just wanted to double check with the knowledgable folks here to make sure I'm not negating the workings of the filter in some way. I'm having trouble linking to the photos here on my phone, but there's a couple of pics under my album "new tank."

Thanks!
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:51 PM   #2 
callistra

What size tank do you have? You may need a smaller filter..

I wouldn't block the lift tube with a sponge.

You can add an airstone inside the filter, and also add an extra lift to to take the water all the way to the top, and/or L tube to the top to redirect the water across the tank which should help with current.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #3 
Juditko

Thanks for your reply. The tank is a ten gallon. And to clarify, the prefilter sponge fits over the output tube like a sleeve. Its original designation is as an intake filter sponge, so it is quite porous and lets the water pass through quite well but does baffle the action.

But I don't want to squash the workings of the filter itself. I had the outflow tube above water but it was so close to the cover that it just spit water all over it. I have it just barely above the water line now. I have thought about the air stone. Can I just set it inside the tube or does the air hose still have to plug in to the air hose receiver inside the filter?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 
callistra

The stone goes on the inside, last thing after the cage. It has a little round place that one could stick over..
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Using an airstone does make the lift more efficient. The nipple that the airhose plugs into has another on the other side of that plate. Put a 1/2in of airhose on that undernipple and plug the airstone into that.

Callistra has some good suggestions for cutting the flow. I cut the lift tube off below the waterline and use java moss to catch the bubbles and attenuate the flow.

Your solution sounds like a good one. If your filter is strong enough to lift above the waterline, even with that sponge on it, then it's working fine.

You can also buy an adjustable regulator for a few bucks that fits in the airline and slows the air from the pump. With as large a filter as you have, this would work fine also.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 AM   #6 
Juditko

Hallyx, thanks! I'm headed to the store today to pick up that airstone. Sounds reasonable to me to try it as you and callistra have suggested. Then we can go from there to see if we need to address the outflow further.
Old 02-17-2013, 04:59 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

I just checked out your setup in your album. That prefilter (post-filter) sponge is probably OK. Hold the filter so the outflow is underwater and see how much bubbles it makes, as opposed to without it on. This will tell you how much it slows the flow. I cut my riser tube off about 1/2 inch below the waterline. Above the waterline definitely slows things down. You want as much flow as possible through the filter. Cut the current after if you have to.

That is one gorgeous VT (avatar fish). Are those pictures of the same fish?
Old 02-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #8 
Juditko

Yes, it is. I'll take his pic again once he gets settled in the new tank. Wouldn't you know he came up this morning with a couple of white spots on a fin? So I turned his small tank to a hospital and began AQ salt in the event it should be ick. Thought I'd watch it a few days to see if it clears up or continues. I'm anxious to get him settled into his new tank as he's been through a case of fin rot. But I guess he will wait a few days now. His color is more brilliant now and more turquoise since putting him on NLS food.

So you really feel to take the tube below the waterline is the best option? I was afraid to cut it anymore as I would have to purchase another if it didn't work and I'm not sure I can get it locally. I'm not real good at anticipating what it will do and usually learn by doing it wrong lol!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 07:30 PM   #9 
finnfinnfriend

So the higher the lift tube, the slower the flow? And is it okay to have it go above the water line?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:36 AM   #10 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Actually, the longer the lift tube the stronger the flow --- until you get it above the waterline, then it drops off quickly. You can check this out for yourself; it's really enlightening.

If it's above the waterline, the airpump is working hard for nothing because the flow is cut so much. Hard to lift above the waterline.

You can place the filter on an angle and see how much difference it makes below the waterline before you cut it. Alternatively, you can fill the tank right up to the brim and see how your filter works that way.