Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-15-2013, 04:51 PM   #1 

10 gallon NPT

This is my first NPT. What do y'all think? My snail did uproot a couple of the plants. Any ideas how to get those to stay down? Or just wait for them to take root
Attached Images

319 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:52 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Plant weights?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

Very nice....

Can you tell us more about everything....

Tank size, type of dirt used, how deep, type of cap used and how deep. Number and species of plants, finial stocking plan, type of filter. how long has it been setup/running.

What kind of lights are you using, age of bulbs, kelvin, watts and photoperiod.

Natural planted tanks can be awesome setups and once mature need very little care.

Depending on what type of plant-you can lay a rock on the roots to keep it in place-then remove the rock once the plant has anchored itself.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:02 PM   #4 
bettaluver14

what tank is that? like brand name?
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 02:57 PM   #5 

It's a 10 gallon with about 1"-1 1/2" of Miracle Grow Organic potting soil and CaribSea substrate which varies in depth...it was supposed to be around 1/2"-1" but its more like 1"-1 1/2" since the dirt kept getting through some how :/
Plants:
5 Lucky Bamboo stalks, 3 Amazon Swords, 3 Java Fern, 5 Ludwigia Repens, 4 Vallisneria Spiralis
They get 12hrs of light with 2 6" 6500K CFLs
Right now there is just Sebastian and Turbo the Snail. I am waiting on an order of 10 MTS and I plan on getting some tetras maybe for my birthday next month.
I'm not sure on what kind of filter, it's small, it came with my 3 gal tank and uses an air pump.
It's been running since the 14th.

bettaluver14, I do not know what brand the tank is. I got it used.
Old 02-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #6 

Also, I'm having a hard time keeping the background thing from getting air bubbles in it. Poor Sebastian keeps flaring at the bubbles when they get large again. Does anyone know how to get those to stay on and still be bright? I got it wet and smoothed it out so there was hardly any air pockets just teeny tiny ones but they seem to grow :/
Old 02-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #7 
Crowntails

I'd take out the Amazon Swords. They will outgrow your tank since they reach over a foot tall, usually reaching around 18". Most people say a 55 gallon tanks is the absolute minimum to keep them in.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #8 
Oldfishlady

I have been able to keep Amazon swords in my smaller tanks by keeping them pinched back going on 5 years-I pinch the larger leaves at the crown to keep them tidy. Amazon swords can get really big with an even bigger root ball.

If you are talking about the background paper on the back of the tank-Try veggie oil-a thin layer-place the background-then use a credit card to smooth it out and tape the edges.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote