Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 12:28 AM   #11 
rmarkham

I recommend checking out hamstercentral.com

What is the daily/weekly/monthly maintenance?

I clean all cages once a week. I take all plastic/bleachable supplies out and bleach them in the sink. I disinfect all wooden supplies using this: http://www.pangeareptile.com/store/3...infectant.html

I replace all bedding and wipe down all surfaces with the disinfectant listed above.

What type of hamster is "best" and why? What type do you have?
I have a Chinese, that is considered a dwarf. She's TINY and very calm, and shy. I rarely see her out and about. I also have a syrian ham, and she's out and about and begs for love. For someone who wants a hamster that wants to be held, I recommend a Syrain ham.

What should the cage size be and what should be in it?

My dwarf (chinese) ham is in a 20G tall, with 2 levels. (with at least an 8 inch wheel)

My Syrain ham is in a 60Gallon ferret cage. I firmly believe that syrians need LOTS of space. (with at least a 11 inch wheel)
The minimum size for a dwarf would be 20 gallons, and the min size for a syrian ham would be 40G

Would you reccomend a hamster?

Totally, as long as you are willing to provide it with what it needs, including exercise, love and diet.

I really recommend http://www.hamstercentral.com/
rmarkham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:39 AM   #12 
bryanacute

Thanks. I'm sure we could both use that. I hope it's ok I post some of my questions here, instead of starting a new thread on the same topic.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:16 AM   #13 
Crowntails

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddybelle View Post
Aquariums can be dangerous for hammies, especially Syrians, because there is no cross breeze and our good friend ammonia will built up very quickly, causing respiratory problems. Just be very diligent with cage cleaning, probably have to do a complete clean once a week or so.
Not if you have a screen top. Most hamster owns have an aquarium tank with a screen top for air flow. That's how I kept my Russian Dwarf and he lived 2 1/2 years.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:22 AM   #14 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Not if you have a screen top. Most hamster owns have an aquarium tank with a screen top for air flow. That's how I kept my Russian Dwarf and he lived 2 1/2 years.
I agree! And if you have an aquarium for your syrian, who will poop and pee A LOT MORE, just keep the tank clean!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:40 AM   #15 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Bryanacute, in a ten gallon, maybe you should get a couple dwarfs instead of a Syrian?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:52 AM   #16 
bryanacute

MattsBettas, I was thinking about that. It depends on the stock of my petsmart and the prices. Also, I hope you don't mind me posting here instead of starting a new thread.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:42 AM   #17 
rmarkham

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Bryanacute, in a ten gallon, maybe you should get a couple dwarfs instead of a Syrian?

I think that a 10 gallon is too small for dwarfs.. and most species of dwarf hamster need to be housed alone. The only type I've heard of doing okay together are robos...

Just because they're smaller doesn't mean they need a small tank. They are very active and need room to run around and do hamster stuff. I think a 20 gallon long would be a min size. Basically, any tank "made" for hamsters is going to be too small.

You could always use a large plastic bin, and cut out part, and replace it with a screen for a cheaper option.