Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #11 
Tormented

Yea, my tank is cycled. I might do 5 with a couple endlers. 'Cause endlers are so small, and it might take some aggression away from the other girls as well. Or so I have read.
Tormented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #12 
LittleBettaFish

Just be careful as my sorority killed a couple of golden medaka when I tried to see how they would do with other fish in their tank. They also killed two male bettas when the breeding nets I was using to hold them in place fell into the tank.

Females can be nasty when in a sorority as they can be inclined to gang up.

Best advice I can give is choose the youngest identifiable females possible as this will do a lot to cut down any aggression, and provide as much cover as you can at all levels of the tank. Plants, whether real or fake are much better than caves and pots as you want something that a fish can't get cornered in.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:47 PM   #13 
Tormented

Okay, I plan on putting the endlers (if I get them) in first for a couple ours while the girls are floating.

As a suggestion on another site, I broke the bottom of the terra cotta pot that was in there. SO they can't get cornered in there!

I plant on buying a lot of real and fake plants when I get the girls.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Sounds like you have a solid plan so good luck with your sorority.

Are you are going to be quarantining your new stock for 1-2 weeks prior to adding them in?

I never did, but then I lost a few fish because I stupidly introduced female bettas in that had a very bad strain of ich(very hard to see due to their colouring) and possibly something else. Lost half my tank within 24 hours or so of getting them.

Even if you buy fish from the same supplier there is always the risk of disease. Not saying you have to quarantine, but mine was an expensive lesson and one I wouldn't want you to have to learn.

You could just float their cups in a heated aquarium/plastic tub and do daily 100% changes for a week or so as a more space effective method of quarantining.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #15 
Tormented

I might. I am not sure. I try to get healthy looking ones but still.

Does ich or anything else effect shrimp, kuhli loaches, or snails?

Gosh I forgot about my 2 kuhlis in the tank *head desk*
-------------------

I have never quarantined. But I bought this absolutely beautiful silver guppy. He died, then I had a very bad columnaris (I think) break out. ALL of my females but like 3 died, I had to re-cycle my tank because I took everything out and boiled it and scrubbed the tank with hot water. Luckily I moved my important (the prettiest) males to my brothers tank before the breakout and they are all still alive (except my oldest one). Two of those females died, the last one I originally thought it was a boy because she had a long dorsal fin. But she is still alive, sadly I only have like 3 females and 7 males O.o

It was sad! My kuhli loaches didn't die though! But somehow out of the 4 I put in my brothers tank, 2 disappeared D: My snails and shrimp didn't die from that either.

I can't remember if I got Opal (male betta, was supposed to be female) before or after that breakout but he lived!

Last edited by Tormented; 02-18-2013 at 05:06 PM.