Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 07:28 AM   #11 
Juditko

Good! I'll try the tilt and see what kind of action I get. I almost would prefer it to come out under the waterline as it probably wouldn't throw quite so much spit on the hood (I know over time, that constant water mist there will grow some gunk...!)

Yesterday I installed a small airstone using callistra's and hallyx's instructions. It already is better and does give a lot more lift. Not much disturbance to the top of the water except for what looks like a bubble nest right around the filter outflow. That's without the prefilter sponge. I tried it with the sponge over the outflow and it seemed fine then also, except I'd get a residual bubble out of the sponge filter itself every 3-4 seconds, so I knew it was having a stifling effect. Yesterday we just added the tankmates (6 rasboras) and I thought I'd just leave it off and see what they do current wise. The betta goes in after his white spot bout is over...

I also bought a small mist stone, which would probably make the current even more gentle...but I don't know if it would provide enough lift. I can always take it back if the betta tolerates the regular small airstone.
Juditko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 07:34 AM   #12 
Juditko

Catching up with photos...

Since I'm not on a mobile device, I'll try to link back to my pictures for those who may be reading this post after the fact:

The new tank:

The prefilter-turned-postfilter that has been under discussion:

Old 02-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #13 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
Actually, the longer the lift tube the stronger the flow --- until you get it above the waterline, then it drops off quickly. You can check this out for yourself; it's really enlightening.

If it's above the waterline, the airpump is working hard for nothing because the flow is cut so much. Hard to lift above the waterline.

You can place the filter on an angle and see how much difference it makes below the waterline before you cut it. Alternatively, you can fill the tank right up to the brim and see how your filter works that way.
Could I just take the lift tube off completely?
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #14 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
Could I just take the lift tube off completely?
No. If you take the lift tube off there is no way to push water out creating a void for water to enter the sponge.

Check my article further down this thread called Sponge Filters: Why and How and there is a picture with descriptions of how the process works!

Juditko....That is one of the best VT I have ever seen. Where did you get him?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:48 PM   #15 
Juditko

Water dog, believe it or not, Walmart. I'd been contemplating an aquarium for our family and was looking around. I saw him and had never seen anything like him. So we fell in love with the fish first, and have done everything backwards. After first a one gallon and then a 2.5 gal we are now finally doing the ten gallon set up we should have done first! He will have six rasboras to keep him entertained hopefully...they are in place getting the tank ready now. He's lagging behind with a trio of white spots on a fin, so we are doing AQ salt for ick as we don't want to move that to the new tank. He's seemingly happy and active...the reason he caught my eye at Walmart in the first place. Thanks for the nice comment on him. I still quite don't know what color he is...more turquoise than the lighting in the avatar pic.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #16 
Juditko

So far we are a bettafish.com success story lol!