Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM   #1 
Buttons000

Warning for Petco Accessory

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  52.0 KB
I bought this a week ago for about $9 at Petco. Today I noticed that the paint was beginning to bubble and leave a pink film in my water. I took it out immediately and did a water change.
Buttons000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #2 
registereduser

eww! I hope you kept the receipt!
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:25 PM   #3 
Buttons000

Well my friends dad is the manager, so I'm going to ask him to take them off the shelves.
Buttons000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 04:11 PM   #4 
MiyuMikaelson

How bazaar! I'm glad you got it out and "tanken" care of. I would be petrified if I had that happen.

(Sorry about the pun. ;D )
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:48 PM   #5 
majesticstorm

Oh good grief, there are so many aquarium decorations that are harmful to fish, it's terrible. I was actually thinking about buying this when I was setting up my tank (kinda wanted an oriental feel), thank goodness I didn't. Silk plants and terra cotta pots ftw!

I hope they get taken off the shelves.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:19 AM   #6 
waterdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Oh good grief, there are so many aquarium decorations that are harmful to fish, it's terrible.
That's exactly why I only use natural decor in my tanks. Live plants and real wood. I don't trust those cheap man made things.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:20 AM   #7 
Mal72

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticstorm View Post
Oh good grief, there are so many aquarium decorations that are harmful to fish, it's terrible. I was actually thinking about buying this when I was setting up my tank (kinda wanted an oriental feel), thank goodness I didn't. Silk plants and terra cotta pots ftw!

I hope they get taken off the shelves.
Some of the silk plants with the bases have been reported to have metal in them and after a while start to rust. It is a shame. There are so many cool decorations, but I'm too nervous to buy them! So my tanks all look a bit ugly (lol). A bunch of stuff that is thrown together for their safety--rather than good looks.
Mal72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:04 AM   #8 
majesticstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal72 View Post
Some of the silk plants with the bases have been reported to have metal in them and after a while start to rust. It is a shame. There are so many cool decorations, but I'm too nervous to buy them! So my tanks all look a bit ugly (lol). A bunch of stuff that is thrown together for their safety--rather than good looks.
Yeah, I know. I saw the Petsmart silk plant thread. I actually bought one of those silk plants. Threw it out already. I guess the best way to ensure the safety of your fish is to use live plants, but some people, like me, can't really do that (living in a college dorm, lots of moving, hahaha). Terra cotta pots are really nice, after you've plugged the hole up. People say that there might be chemicals and stuff since you don't know where they've been at the store. But I soaked my pot for a week and changed the water daily with hot water before putting it in the tank, and it's fine. I recently bought silk plants from petco. The plastic seems soft enough, and I believe there isn't any metal in there, so I suggest you give petco silk plants a try? Although I wouldn't risk their other decorations after this paint fiasco.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:08 AM   #9 
OSagent23

The spongebob decorations at petsmart and petco do the same thing. I've had to remove all the decorations in my daughters tank. Great waste of money and a good way to kill your fish. Maybe they planned it that way so you have to buy more fish from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
OSagent23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 AM   #10 
majesticstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSagent23 View Post
The spongebob decorations at petsmart and petco do the same thing. I've had to remove all the decorations in my daughters tank. Great waste of money and a good way to kill your fish. Maybe they planned it that way so you have to buy more fish from them.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's quite a nice theory, hahaha! It's a conspiracy! But I'm sorry you had to waste all your money on such horrible decorations.