Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #21 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
I can't help with the black spots having never seen anything like that on my shrimp but I thought I'd let you know that when they are kept on white gravel, they will often loose their color so they blend in more.
My mom always liked my shrimp so she got some for a 5 gallon and within a couple weeks, they all turn pale like ghost shrimp.
I also have kept mine in all my tanks, whether a community or a betta set up. I suppose some do get eaten but not enough to notice. I have two in a 10 gallon with my new male, he follows them around but never gets too close or tries to eat them. They give him something to interact with.
Oh that must be why they sometimes are pale! Well my male do not even think go to interact with them. He just does his things and the shrimps do their things too. But is it okay if they feed only on algae?
WhiskeyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:57 PM   #22 
GailC

It would be better if you can get some fish food down to them at least a couple times a week. Sometimes I drop a pinch of betta pelts in a corner and make sure the fish leave them alone, I also have sinking shrimp pellets I give them once in awhile.
They really love half rotted fall leaves that have sat in a pond for a few days. I get maple leaves from my moms koi pond, the shrimps love them.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 06:30 AM   #23 
WhiskeyHands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
It would be better if you can get some fish food down to them at least a couple times a week. Sometimes I drop a pinch of betta pelts in a corner and make sure the fish leave them alone, I also have sinking shrimp pellets I give them once in awhile.
They really love half rotted fall leaves that have sat in a pond for a few days. I get maple leaves from my moms koi pond, the shrimps love them.
Ah okay if they like rotten leaves, is it okay if i take leaves from another tank and drop it into their tank?
Old 02-18-2013, 06:56 AM   #24 
tekkguy

I drop oak leaves for my shrimp and just let them hang out in the tank. The current one has been in there for two weeks with no sign of disintegration. Also, blanched veggies and fruit are great ... Just don't leave in more than a couple of hours. I feed spinach, broccoli, banana, apple, strawberry, just about anything I can get in the tank. Just make sure it doesn't have any pesticides.

Frozen should be thawed, fresh veggies I microwave in tank water and allow to cool so thy sink. Fruit I just drop in unless it floats. Shrimp only need supplemental feeding every 2-3 days (large planted tanks even less). They will benefit from the protein in fish food, but they are scavengers so any little bit of flake etc that makes it down will be found.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:23 PM   #25 
WhiskeyHands

Okay thanks sounds good. They are active only when the lights are off so i guess that is when they will come out for food!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:40 PM   #26 
Kiara1125

I've had RCS for two years now. If you're talking about the black spot behind their heads, it's their stomach. Other then that, I see no spots. The only thing I can think of is you talking about their insides. They'll be pale to blend in, that's why they look super red against black gravel. I just took some pics of my shrimp. See? They all have the black behind their heads. Also, my female is berries (pregnant). The female in your pic has a yellow saddle. This is formed by unfertilized eggs and it means that she's ready to breed. Also, my shrimp are in my betta tank. I keep my bettas well fed, so they don't go after the shrimp or the babies. I put 5 in here and ended up with 30 in a few months. They're scavengers and will eat algae, left over fish food, and even poop. I feed my shrimp Omega One Shrimp Pellets. Yes, shrimp are eating shrimp. xD

Hard to see? No problem.

Here's a male, a female, and a juvie. See how the juvie (far right) has the brown from food?

Last edited by Kiara1125; 02-18-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:30 AM   #27 
WhiskeyHands

ohh okay thanks that makes sense! I don't have any male for them to have babies aha! I'll need to make a trip to the pet store for one.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 AM   #28 
Kiara1125

You're welcome. The males are always a whitish or transparent color. Some will have the red speckling. I hope this helps a lot.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:12 AM   #29 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiara1125 View Post
You're welcome. The males are always a whitish or transparent color. Some will have the red speckling. I hope this helps a lot.
All of my males are red. It depends on the grade of the shrimp!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:18 AM   #30 
Kiara1125

Ok. I forgot about that. I usually have the lower grade shrimp, rather then the Fire Red Shrimp.

Tags
betta, rcs, tankmates