Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 12:24 PM   #1 
InfiniteGlory

cleaning/vacumming betta sand

Everytime I want to vacuum my tank I have to be extra careful not to suck up the sand. I usually agitate the bottom and have the vacuum close so that it grabs the detritus. not too mention that with only 4 gallons I have just a short time before I have to stop. I don't want to remove/add water to disrupt the cycle. So I never really get it clean like I would hope it to be.

I have seen the battery operated vacuums that will recycle the water while trapping the detritus in a small bag. DO they actually work becuase I am willing to be a guinea pig and try them out.

Pic of my tank
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:28 PM   #2 
MyRainbowBettaFish

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteGlory View Post
Everytime I want to vacuum my tank I have to be extra careful not to suck up the sand. I usually agitate the bottom and have the vacuum close so that it grabs the detritus. not too mention that with only 4 gallons I have just a short time before I have to stop. I don't want to remove/add water to disrupt the cycle. So I never really get it clean like I would hope it to be.

I have seen the battery operated vacuums that will recycle the water while trapping the detritus in a small bag. DO they actually work becuase I am willing to be a guinea pig and try them out.

Pic of my tank
your tanks gorgeous!

I have cories in my tank, so they like to clean alot for me ^.^

I have sand also, about the grain size of sugar. I take my normal siphon, swirl it above the sand about an inch, and just hover above the sand to suck up the waste. This works fine for me, but i have heard that the sand you have tends to be very dusty, so you could look into the other siphon if youd like.
MyRainbowBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #3 
tekkguy

You could run your vacuum into a bucket also, and then put the sand back in. Once the waste is lifted into the bucket, it will float a bit while the sand settles, and it can be removed.

I saw instructions somewhere for making your own air-powered vacuum. Costs almost nothing, especially if you're already running an airstone. You might Google DIY air powered vacuum.

Also, Malaysian trumpet snails will help you keep the sand stirred to break up waste better and make it much easier to take care of.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #4 
registereduser

someone suggested just using the tube and not the large vacuum head. I'm going to try that next time. It might take longer but do a better job I hope.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #5 
InfiniteGlory

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRainbowBettaFish View Post
your tanks gorgeous!

I have cories in my tank, so they like to clean alot for me ^.^

I have sand also, about the grain size of sugar. I take my normal siphon, swirl it above the sand about an inch, and just hover above the sand to suck up the waste. This works fine for me, but i have heard that the sand you have tends to be very dusty, so you could look into the other siphon if youd like.
Thank you. The sand is more like the raw sugar size and I do use the swirl method. It just still looks dirty even after a cleaning. I spent lots of time washing it before adding it in. So the majority of dust has been removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
You could run your vacuum into a bucket also, and then put the sand back in. Once the waste is lifted into the bucket, it will float a bit while the sand settles, and it can be removed.

I saw instructions somewhere for making your own air-powered vacuum. Costs almost nothing, especially if you're already running an airstone. You might Google DIY air powered vacuum.

Also, Malaysian trumpet snails will help you keep the sand stirred to break up waste better and make it much easier to take care of.
I am hoping the snails will help keep it cleaner. I will look into the air power vacuum since I have an old air pump from the previous tank

Thanks for the bucket idea. I might have to give it a try too

Quote:
Originally Posted by registereduser View Post
someone suggested just using the tube and not the large vacuum head. I'm going to try that next time. It might take longer but do a better job I hope.
That still brings back the sand issue. I may try it along with the bucket so that I can recover any 'lost' sand.
InfiniteGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #6 
Catie79

I recently started using extra airline tubing to siphon in my smaller tanks. It takes a lot less water and lets me do a more thorough job vaccuming the surface of the substrate. It may take a bit longer since it doesn't cover a lot of area, but you can take your time without draining the entire tank. Works well for my 2.5 gallon shrimp tank.
Catie79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:01 AM   #7 
sarahspins

Plastic fork + tape = you can thank me later :)

I use 3/8" tubing with no siphon tube.. the suction is greater without one so I can suck out what the fork stirs up.

I don't worry about getting every last bit, and in fact I really only pay attention to sucking stuff out about once a month or so.. usually only when I trim plants. (when I do a normal WC I just suction cup the tubing to the side of the tank however far down I want it to stop draining)
sarahspins is offline   Reply With Quote