Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-18-2013, 01:33 PM   #11 
Batmantha

I'll go have a look at pencil and hatchet fish on the weekend thanks :)
Batmantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:04 PM   #12 
Crowntails

Great! I'd just get one or the other.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:27 AM   #13 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Great! I'd just get one or the other.
Yeah we will see what the LFS has, I;m going to try a different store because the one closest to me only has plain guppies, goldfish not much else of a selection, I asked them for shrimp once and they thought I was crazy.

Had to go all the way into the city to find my bettas - but hopefully this other one has something :)
Old 02-19-2013, 06:26 AM   #14 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batmantha View Post
Yeah we will see what the LFS has, I;m going to try a different store because the one closest to me only has plain guppies, goldfish not much else of a selection, I asked them for shrimp once and they thought I was crazy.

Had to go all the way into the city to find my bettas - but hopefully this other one has something :)
You should breed some beautiful shrimp, show them how cool they are, and sell them to the store!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM   #15 
Crowntails

If you have no luck, Petco is starting to sell pencilfish. My local petco has some. Very adorable!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:21 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Looking at the OP, I think she (I'm assuming female) is in Sydney which I am going to make the obvious conclusion and guess is Sydney, Australia.

We don't have Petsmart/Petco here and just realised depending on where she is, pencilfish may or may not even be available.

Stores I can think of in/near Sydney that may sell them are Aquaristic and Auburn Aquarium. They seem to get in some more unusual species of fish.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #17 
Kitty Whiskers

Arrow

Here are some facts and info to know about Hatchet Fish and Pencil Fish.....

Tips, Care & Warnings. Pencil Fish:

• Given the right conditions, pencilfish are hardy and can live up to five years. They do need soft, acid water though, and weekly water checks with a good testing kit is essential. Remember to make any water adjustments slowly.

• Pencilfish are happiest when kept in schools of three or more.

• When testing water, adding fish or making partial water changes, be sure to place the lid back on the tank promptly. These fish can jump in a flash. When transferring pencilfish, use a deep net and keep your moistened hand over the opening at all times.

• Pencilfish are good community tank mates, but only for other fish that enjoy similar water conditions.
Common Freshwater Hatchet Fish
  • The common freshwater hatchet fish live near heavy vegetation in the slow-moving streams of South America. They are also a popular fish tank pet because they are a hardy species, possessing a mild manner that makes them a compatible tank mate to many types of tropical fish. Growing up to 3 inches, they come in a variety of colors ranging from silver, olive brown, iridescent green to iridescent blue.

Hatchet Fish Are Know to Fly
  • The freshwater hatchet fish are top feeders that will eat a variety of foods including mosquito larvae, mosquitoes and small flying insects. Freshwater hatchet fish have large pectoral fins enabling them to leap completely out of the water to capture insects. Hatchet fish are also called "flying fish" because they literally flap their pectoral fins to aid in their flying leap. Captive tank dwellers require a secure tank lid to prevent escape.

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 02:33 PM   #18 
Batmantha

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Looking at the OP, I think she (I'm assuming female) is in Sydney which I am going to make the obvious conclusion and guess is Sydney, Australia.

We don't have Petsmart/Petco here and just realised depending on where she is, pencilfish may or may not even be available.

Stores I can think of in/near Sydney that may sell them are Aquaristic and Auburn Aquarium. They seem to get in some more unusual species of fish.

Yeah Aquadisiac is good as well thats where I got my bettas and cories, little pricey but excellent stock. Haven't tried auburn aquarium might try to head out there next weekend.

I have another big pet store near by which has some nice looking stock but they are just handled by anyone, no one with any real sorta training they can't answer any questions about them
Old 02-19-2013, 03:04 PM   #19 
Crowntails

Oops! Didn't realize you were in Australia!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:59 PM   #20 
Batmantha

Has anyone had any experience with gardneri killifish