Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 02:52 PM   #551 
trilobite

Well yeah, Id yank my arm back too if I had a dog mauling it.
Dogs dont always give warnings. A dog in prey drive is going to stay silent. There is a complete difference between warning and mauling, the dog was completely out of place to maul a child, there is no question.
Hundreds of other dogs are perfectly able to tolerate an arm sticking through a fence or stick to alert barking. Why should this dog be an exception just because it is a pit bull?
If anything the pitbull people shouldnt be making excuses for it and just flat out say "that was a bad dog, thankfully not all are like that."Making excuses for a dog who intended to kill a human leaves room for the Joe Public to think this is common behaviour in the breed.
trilobite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #552 
trilobite

So you would allow your dog to attack a child?
If a burglar came into my house I would want my dog to act aggressive ie, stare, bark, growl and generally intimidate the person. That would be more than enough to deter a thief. I would never allow my dog to sink its teeth into someone especially if I wont be able to call him off, it would just add to another dog related death or mauling
Old 02-19-2013, 03:03 PM   #553 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
Well yeah, Id yank my arm back too if I had a dog mauling it.
Dogs dont always give warnings. A dog in prey drive is going to stay silent. There is a complete difference between warning and mauling, the dog was completely out of place to maul a child, there is no question.
Hundreds of other dogs are perfectly able to tolerate an arm sticking through a fence or stick to alert barking. Why should this dog be an exception just because it is a pit bull?
If anything the pitbull people shouldnt be making excuses for it and just flat out say "that was a bad dog, thankfully not all are like that."Making excuses for a dog who intended to kill a human leaves room for the Joe Public to think this is common behaviour in the breed.
Oh that's just bull crap. Dogs always give warnings. Barking isn't their only warning. You watch their body language. The same goes for a person's body language. When they're mad or upset they're stiff and uneasy. And the dog isn't an "exception" because it was a pit bull. FYI: you don't know if it really was a pit bull. Passing stories always change. It could of been a mix that looked like a pit bull. Just because it looks like a pit bull doesn't mean it is a pit bull.

I advise you to do more research on dog behavior.
FishyFishy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:06 PM   #554 
popcorndeer

i love pit bulls i have a pit bull puppy his name is opie and he thinks he is one of thoes little white dogs the you put in a bag and take avery where with you lol

he is soo cute
popcorndeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:08 PM   #555 
FishyFishy89

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobite View Post
So you would allow your dog to attack a child?
If a burglar came into my house I would want my dog to act aggressive ie, stare, bark, growl and generally intimidate the person. That would be more than enough to deter a thief. I would never allow my dog to sink its teeth into someone especially if I wont be able to call him off, it would just add to another dog related death or mauling
That always isn't enough to intimidate. That wasn't enough for the man who busted into my home years ago. He still felt it was okay to step into my home when a DOBERMAN PINSCHER was at the door frame snarling, barking, growling and tossing slobber at him. The second he stepped in the door way my doberman took hold of his arm and shook the fudge outta him. Which BTW is what guard dogs are trained to do. Just the arm shaking is enough to pull an arm out of the socket.

And yes, if I told a child SEVERAL times to not touch my dog, my dog has the right to bite a child who crossed the boundary line that divides my property from their parents property. There's a reason why I tell people to not touch my dogs.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:27 PM   #556 
trilobite

The behaviour we are talking about is the dog alert barking, not body language, not insecure behaviour, alert barking. You said he most likely barked, he might have but he might have just as easily been in prey mode and not barked. Yes if you watch them you will see the body language thats common sense, but the kid obviously did not.
At the end of the day an unstable, poorly trained dog pulled an arm off a child. Normal dogs dont do that Im afraid.

I never said the pit bull was an exception, Im saying its giving pit bulls more of a bad reputation if the pit bull lovers are defending this dog. I know that it might not be a pure pit bull but to Joe Public if it has short fur and a square face its a pit bull.

If I had a child that I didnt want touching my dog I would be responsible and remove the dog from the situation so my dog doesnt need to bite and the kid doesnt need to get bitten. But then again I wouldnt have a dog that wants to bite kids.
Old 02-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #557 
FishyFishy89

Guard dogs are comfortable with their circle of people. It takes a while for a new person to come into the circle. If the new person cannot respect that, then they don't belong in my circle of friends. And you obviously have failed to see the point here.

It doesn't take a whole lot of pull an arm out of it's socket. Guard dog's are trained to grab hold, yank and shake the invader's arm. The dog doesn't discriminate invaders. It just knows "you're not with my owner, you're invading without permission. I need to do my duty. You're not responding to my body language? Okay I'm going to start barking. Still not responding to my barking!? Now I'm going to bite."

Simple as that. And YES the child doesn't know doggie body language. But the child parent SHOULD BE WATCHING THEM. It's the parents' fault. Like I said, maybe you should do some more research in dog behavior and possibly look into guard dog behavior. Dogs don't discriminate invaders. Period. And if a dog attacks a child invading his property, then the parent needs to be watching their child more carefully and possibly even teaching their child to not invade someone's property without that person's permission.
Old 02-19-2013, 04:13 PM   #558 
trilobite

Your points are irrelevant, we arent talking about your "circle of friends" we are talking about a human aggressive dog that was put in a situation where it could attack humans. Any way if you want to get fussy about guard dogs then we can go on to say how pit bulls arent guardian breeds, they are game bred terriers, but that also is irrelevant.

No, you see good guard dogs are trained to protect, attack and release on command, not out of their own free will.
So this dog you say was trained to attack whenever an arm poked through the fence. Hah! doubt it. The child wasnt waltzing through the yard and into the front door, no, if a dog cant tell the difference between someone threatening the owner and an arm poking through a fence then he dog is poorly trained and unstable.
I doubt it was even trained, just some punks wanting a pit bull because they are so cool "Haha its so funny when he barks at people walking past! Haha look at him trying to get them through the hole in the fence! Oh pit bull, you are so funny. Lets encourage and laugh at this behavior"

A well wounded and trained guard dog will not attack anything and every thing that pops through the fence. If a dog attacks a child then put it down, there is no place for a dog like that at all
Old 02-19-2013, 04:50 PM   #559 
FishyFishy89

Wow. Research guard dog behavior. Many of them have a "circle of people" that they're comfortable with. And pit bulls can be trained to be guard dogs. Labradors can be trained to be guard dogs. And no, guard dogs guard on their own free will as well. If they didn't, then homes with dogs would be broken into more often.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #560 
trilobite

I think you are confusing guarding with human aggression. Its not the same thing. Guard dogs guard. Human aggressive dogs dogs attack humans for no reason. If you have a dog thats trained to attack humans you need to take extra precautions to ensure no one gets bitten. Are you suggesting this dog was trained to bite through a fence?
Normal dogs will bark and growl at an intruder, abnormal dogs will attack anything and everything.