Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 07:22 AM   #11 
veggiegirl

Kham905 does use water conditioner......
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:43 AM   #12 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainthogan View Post
You need water conditioner. The chemicals in the water are dangerous to fish and will compromise and/or kill your fish with prolonged exposure.
I do use water conditioner ( Nutrafin Betta Plus )
Kham905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #13 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
if your room is only a little bit over room temp, which means your room is about 70 degrees, which also means his tank is only about 65-68 degrees. Thats way too cold, he'll die if left like that for long. He needs to be in 75-80 degrees water. He can survive 72-75, but still not ideal.

if you dont have a heater, try to bag some hot water and float it in his tank, and wrap his tank with thick towels.

Get a heater asap

when you change his water, do you sit the water for a bit so that the temperature evens out? If the new water temperature has more than a 2 degrees difference, then he may be in shock (especially if he was weak from the cold water already)
Thank you again so much for your help !
I will go out today and get a bigger tank with a heater! will this make him better? If i put the bag of hot water in his tank would that be too rapid of a temp change and could it affect him more? I'm learning allot from everyone and this will not happen again i just hope its not too late i hope he'll be ok!
Old 02-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #14 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

If you used a bag of hot water in his tank you would have to be sure it doesnt leak and also that there is plenty of room at the top of the tank for him to get to so he can get air to breath. I think it would heat the water slowly but please be sure it doesnt leak or block the top of the tank. Is he eating well ?
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #15 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
If you used a bag of hot water in his tank you would have to be sure it doesnt leak and also that there is plenty of room at the top of the tank for him to get to so he can get air to breath. I think it would heat the water slowly but please be sure it doesnt leak or block the top of the tank. Is he eating well ?
I think to be on the safe side I'm going to be going out within the next couple hours and grab a new tank and a heater!! he hasn't eaten in couple days as said in the original post, but i hope the new tank and heater will make him better !
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #16 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Great idea I am happy to hear that !!!! Could you also pick up something for the new tank like a silk plant he can rest in, Bettas love plants but beware of anything with sharp edges on it as it can rip their fins. A good test is if it can rip pantyhose it can rip their fins. So something nice and soft leaves would be perfect.
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #17 
jadaBlu

This information came from our forum you say the problem is will his gills:
Inflamed Gills
•Symptoms: One or both gills will not close all the way and may appear red. The fish will be gasping for air and subsequently die.
•Treatment: Isolate sick fish. Depending on the cause, there are different treatments. If it is genetic then there is no cure. If it was caused by nitrate/nitrite/ammonia poisoning (BAD HUSBANDRY) then treat with 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt and Stress Coat while performing daily 100% water changes. If it is a bacterial infection, then you can treat conservitably with 1-2tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Erythromiacin, API Triple Sulfa, OR Maracyn.

Get a tank that is longer than it is higher. If you have the room go ahead and get a minimum 5 gallon tank. This the ideal and you can be ok once your fish is well with just doing the once a week 50% water change. If you budget limits you try Freecycle.com or Craigslist. Otherwise at least 2.5 gallon. Get some betta safe plants to put in the tank and keep the water level lower. He can lean on the plants to stay near the surface and surfacing will be easier.

Aquarium salt is the minimum treatment for most illnesses. Here is a webpage that describes more betta diseases under the sick betta category:
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/

There are pictures which can be helpful. If see any advice about feeding your betta peas please ignore this that will make him worse. If you end feeling your fish has swim bladder disease epsom salt is the proper treatment see our betta disease list on this forum for advice on that.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:11 AM   #18 
jadaBlu

When you get that heater be sure to float him in the tank in a sealed container or bag so the temp change won't be a shock. I was told to float my fish for an hour.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #19 
Picasso84

Kham, I think that u have done the best you could with what u were told, don't be too hard on yourself, u didn't know better, & it obviously wasn't intentional! *But definitely follow everyone's advice lol :) and Good Luck

I am kinda new to betta keeping (not fish overall) so I can't really advise u on diseases, or anything, but there are some very knowledgeable ppl on this forum, so u are in good hands!

One thing I can say, is that if u can't get a new tank immediately, just do frequent 50% water changes, every day probably would be best, and a 100% once a week (look up how to acclimate him to the new water, so as to not shock him when u do the 100% changes) :) ooh, and get a glass floating thermometer they come with suction cups, so u can stick it to the tank... And I just found out that the "bettatherm" (its like a heating pad) bowl heaters... By Zoo Med... I had one, & it screwed up my water (in a 2gal) it made it smell like burnt rubber & pennies, & got this white goo on the small part out of the gravel.... Don't use that! (trust me, it's a waste of money) (If I hadn't been on top of it, my betta would've gotten sick from it... He had started going downhill (so to speak) but he's perfectly fine now) I'm not sure what size heater would be good for that size bowl, but an *adjustable* one is good b/c u can control it if it gets too hot... (which is why it's good to have a thermometer) I believe 25 watts would be good as well, and that should work for your larger tank when u get one too (up to ~5gal~ ~depending on other factors affecting temps~)
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #20 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Great idea I am happy to hear that !!!! Could you also pick up something for the new tank like a silk plant he can rest in, Bettas love plants but beware of anything with sharp edges on it as it can rip their fins. A good test is if it can rip pantyhose it can rip their fins. So something nice and soft leaves would be perfect.

Alright forsure! i'll look into the plant and no sharp edges for sure thanks for the tip! I'm just about to go out right now and grab all the new equipment for him! thank you again !