Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Other Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #21 
Kitty Whiskers

My Otos eat Cucumber, Zucchini, Wardley's Algae Wafers and Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers. They didn't like algae wafers till I fasted them for a day then they tried it and now they love them.

After that they started eating the Hikari Bottom Feeder wafers that I put in the tank for my Cory Catfish. Sometimes fish wont eat what doesn't look or smell like their usual foods. When they get used to it they may try a bite and either like it or not.

Here are 3 my Otos searching for the Algae wafer I just put in the tank.
Attached Images

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #22 
valen1014

Wow they look really healthy and cute! I see... maybe I can get them to eat algae wafers that way. I have managed to make some progress with the zucchini... I found out that for some reason they can't eat it well until it has been in the tank for over a day and a half. I worry because people say not to leave it in that long, but it doesn't look like it's rotting, it just looks like it softened a lot... Once it is like that they'll actually pick at it all day. They love the outside even more than the inside XD Today I'm trying carrots for the first time!
valen1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #23 
Nicci Lu

I did a taste test challenge with my new otos yesterday. I hung a zucchini slice and a piece of carrot with thread against the glass. Nobody touched the zucchini, but the carrot was a hit.

I have heard of some saying leave the veggies in for two days max, so that's what I did. Mine, too, seem to prefer it after it's been in the tank for awhile.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:34 PM   #24 
Sagat

I'm bad. I never take it out, but depending on how hungry my snails and scuds are, the slices only ever survive for 2 or 3 days.
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #25 
Kitty Whiskers

My Otos wont eat their veggies the 1st day either, but after another day in there they chow down! I just bought some Rosy Barbs last month and discovered they LOVE the veggies too and eat right along side of the Otos. The Veggies are gone in a day or two after the 1st day of " Soaking" in the tank. They seem to all like the middle more than the outside, but they eat the whole thing after the middle is gone LOL!

Hmmm I have some thin carrot sticks I could try to feed them tomorrow to see if they like them. I bought the carrot sticks for my salads and for my Hermit Crabs, I never thought of trying them with my Otos. I even bought some fresh Broccoli too, maybe they will find that yummy as well. I'll soon find out :)
Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote