Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 12:40 PM   #1 
TommyBermuda

Exclamation Fungus appearance within hours

I really can't go through the loss of another Betta. I don't know how my son will deal with this.

Red was swimming happily this morning when I left the house around 9am. Now at 2pm, he is a light covered fuzz all over.

5.5 gallon tank with a small pump (sponge filter, no carbon). Temp is 78.
I don't have means of testing the water at the moment.

I did call one of the ladies at our local shop - she personally keeps tons of Bettas - she recommended a partial water change (25%), and to treat him with Pimafix.

Any other suggestions? He is very, very sluggish at the moment and I think I'll cry this time if we lose another fish (lost 4 in the last month).
TommyBermuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #2 
TommyBermuda

I thought I'd post a pic so you can see. He's hardly moving, barely breathing, but still alive.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:55 PM   #3 
TommyBermuda

Last water test was on Monday - everything came in just right according to the strips. We did have a temperature drop the day before yesterday, but I'm don't think it went below 70. Then, yesterday, there was a temperature spike, but only to 85.
Old 02-20-2013, 02:39 PM   #4 
TommyBermuda

He's gone.... :(
Old 02-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #5 
Crowntails

Did you have a heater? Usually with a heater your temperature wouldn't spike and drop like that.
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:33 PM   #6 
TommyBermuda

We have discovered that it is likely nothing to do with the temperature.

BTW - we live on a sub-tropical island, so heaters are generally not needed as ambient temperature, even in winter, is normally above 75. And the temperature drop we experienced is RARE.

We've lost 5 fish to fungus, and only one endured the temperature change. We think there is actually something wrong with our tap water. On our island, we catch rain water on our roofs, and then it is carried by pipe to a tank under the house. We think there might be something growing in it, and are going to get it tested by the Health department.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 PM   #7 
GailC

My grandmother has a large plastic tub she catches roof water with. For the last two years she has tried to keep a couple small feeder goldfish in the tub to prevent mosquito from breeding, all the fish have died within a short amount of time.
We pretty much figured its the chemicals from the metal roofing tin, maybe its something similar at your house.
Do you have some sort of water filter pitcher available? That might fix your problem.
http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Slim-Wat...+water+pitcher
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:30 PM   #8 
TommyBermuda

The water catchment system in Bermuda is nothing like what your grandmother was trying. There are no metal roofs, or anything like it. If you google it, you'll see it is one of the most unique water systems in the world. This is the water we drink. If there is a problem, it will not be with metals or anything like it (no chlorine, fluoride, etc.), but that our catchment tank is growing something in it and needs to be cleaned out. I really can't explain how it all works - it's simple (the system) yet complicated (how we naturally purify the water through limestone, etc.). But, since this is our drinking water, there could be something in it that could potentially make us sick too...
Old 02-21-2013, 06:20 PM   #9 
GailC

I see, that's a very cool system. Hope there isn't anything dangerous in your tank.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:24 PM   #10 
TommyBermuda

Yes, it is really cool. We have no fresh water in Bermuda, other than that which falls from the sky. But it is absolutely vital that it is maintained. So, we're going to have it tested - hard thing is we rent, so if we find something, it is the responsibility of the landlord... THAT could be a potential issue...