Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 09:18 PM   #1 
KMC527

Question Treating baby betta for ich

I just got a baby betta, Cappy, the other day from Petco, and I noticed today he/she has ich. Right now, Cappy is in a 1/2 gallon tank (I plan to upgrade the tank) and since s/he is a baby I really don't want to mess with meds. I know raising the temp and adding salt will help, but I'm wondering what kind of salt. I know regular table salt is a no no, but I'm hoping kosher is an option since I already have some. If so, how much and how should I add it? Please help me take care of my new little friend.

Thanks!
KMC527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

You have an adjustable heater for 1/2g tank? When I treated a new female for the Ich she came with, I raised the temp to 86F & only added Aq salt one time, 1 tsp per gallon, so for a 1/2g it'd be a 1/2 tsp. Are you sure yours has Ich? Do you have any kind of container (Tupperware bowl, rubber maid storage bin) that's more than a 1/2g? If you have to keep using the 1/2g do every other day at least water changes.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:36 PM   #3 
KMC527

The heater is not adjustable, but I figured out how to place it to maintain a lower temp. If I fully submerge it, the water gets to 88 degrees. I never wanted to keep my betta in a small tank, but since s/he is so small (3/4 the size of my pinky total), I thought 1/2 gallon was enough. Then I got home and started researching proper care and realized I will need a bigger one.

Do I just put the salt directly in the tank? Should I start with a smaller amount to allow adjustment?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:55 PM   #4 
KMC527

Oh, and I'm pretty sure it's ich. S/he is acting weird, either darting around tank and brushing up against everything or doing pretty much nothing. Also has some white salt like specs on fins and top of body. I tried to get a pic, but s/he is so small I couldn't get a clear shot that was possible to see specs.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:49 AM   #5 
shellieca
Reference Team

The salt needs to be pre-dissovled in before you add it to the tank otherwise your fish will get salt burns. Remember to leave the heat up for at least week after you see the last spot.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #6 
KMC527

Thank you!