Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 07:55 PM   #11 
CJJoyner

Wow. Thanks everyone this has all been truly helpful. I initially wanted a Halfmoon but the Petco Bettas were either dead or incredibly sickly looking. So I went to the only other pet store in town they had one Dumbo only and at first he was swimming fine then he just laid flat at the top of the tank. I asked the employee and he said that the fish was fine some of them are just weird. He also said they'd only had him for about a week and that he was probably younger but couldn't give me an age. I took a gamble and bought him I felt kind of bad for him and I thought if there was something wrong a nice 10 gallon tank would be a step up from the tiny thing they had him in.

I had googled Dumbos to see what they were "supposed" to look like and I assumed they all had the halfmoon tail. Then when I got home I researched a bit more and realized he might look like a Plakat. Then I started wondering if maybe his tail just hasn't grown right. Now I am wondering if this poor little guy has been neglected. I think I said before he is starting to get color. I fed him today I skipped yesterday because I didn't know when he had been fed last. I have also been monitoring my tank with the test strips it seems to be doing good.
CJJoyner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:59 PM   #12 
LebronTheBetta

Hello, and welcome to the forum. :)

To start of, there are no "breeds" in bettas... There are only fin and color varieties. Such as fancy mice. They're all the same except color and covering look. There are different species as in betta imbellis and betta smaragdina.

He is an obvious elephant ear. (Also known as "dumbos" or EE) His fins are pretty long to be a PK so I'm guessing HM or S/DeT. Only time will tell. :p

Keep his water really clean and give him high-protein foods like frozen BBS as Laki has said. He should feel better once he's settled in. IAL (indian almond leaf) will prevent infection. If you're in the tropics, you can easily find it in parks or outside your house.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #13 
CJJoyner

Here is a much better pic of him, Guesses on the tail type??? His color has come out a lot more :)
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2013, 05:35 PM   #14 
Laki

He looks a lot brighter! I would say HM with fin damage.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #15 
CJJoyner

His color has really come out. He was pretty much Grey when I got him. I am sad that he has an injured tail. I am going to pick up some frozen baby brine tomorrow hopefully. He has been swimming much more and seems to be having a much easier time. When he came home he was laying flat the the top of the tank.

I am excited to give him a better life then the pet store and I am hopeful his tail will come back and he will be even more beautiful then he already is.

Again a HUGE thanks to everyone. You are all so helpful.