Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #1 
homegrown terror

are starfish exoskeletons aquarium safe?

just wondering, we've got a few dried starfish exoskeletons we were thinking of including in the decor of our new goldfish tank, but i wanted to check on their safety before we included them. does anyone know if they're okay?
homegrown terror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #2 
Syriiven

................................good question. Depends what the exoskeleton is made of. If it's cartilage or bone, I'd say no...

And you may have to bleach it because, well, it did come from the ocean - who knows what icky stuff lingers. >>

But Imma haunt this thread till we have an answer, cuz that sounds like a fun idea =D
Syriiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #3 
pittipuppylove

I just looked this up in one of my old bio textbooks (Biology: Concepts and Connections 6th edition, if anyone's interested), and it looks like the exoskeleton of an echinoderm is made up of plates that are high in calcium... I'd be concerned that they'd increase the pH in the aquarium.
pittipuppylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #4 
Sea Dragon

^ I second that. Id imagine it would act similar to coral skeletons which leaches calcium into the water.
Sea Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 
Bluelily54

Hmmm... What about small, smooth sea shells? Would they cause the same problem (changes in pH level)?
Bluelily54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:58 PM   #6 
PaulO

Probably as a lot of people add aragonite sand to their salt water tanks which is basically crushed up sea shell. A whole shell might leach calcium a little slower, the upside is if you have invertebrates or african cichlids they will love you :P.
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:50 PM   #7 
Bluelily54

Cool, I had been considering that for a while. I absolutely love sea shells of all kinds, and I have some pretty small ones I got in a variety pack for my hermit crabs (they didn't get used). I can't wait to add them! :D
Bluelily54 is offline   Reply With Quote