Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 05:14 PM   #21 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadaBlu View Post
This information came from our forum you say the problem is will his gills:
Inflamed Gills
•Symptoms: One or both gills will not close all the way and may appear red. The fish will be gasping for air and subsequently die.
•Treatment: Isolate sick fish. Depending on the cause, there are different treatments. If it is genetic then there is no cure. If it was caused by nitrate/nitrite/ammonia poisoning (BAD HUSBANDRY) then treat with 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt and Stress Coat while performing daily 100% water changes. If it is a bacterial infection, then you can treat conservitably with 1-2tsp/gal Aq.Salt for up to 10 days. If that does not work then use API Tetracycline, API Erythromiacin, API Triple Sulfa, OR Maracyn.

Get a tank that is longer than it is higher. If you have the room go ahead and get a minimum 5 gallon tank. This the ideal and you can be ok once your fish is well with just doing the once a week 50% water change. If you budget limits you try Freecycle.com or Craigslist. Otherwise at least 2.5 gallon. Get some betta safe plants to put in the tank and keep the water level lower. He can lean on the plants to stay near the surface and surfacing will be easier.

Aquarium salt is the minimum treatment for most illnesses. Here is a webpage that describes more betta diseases under the sick betta category:
http://nippyfish.net/sick-betta/

There are pictures which can be helpful. If see any advice about feeding your betta peas please ignore this that will make him worse. If you end feeling your fish has swim bladder disease epsom salt is the proper treatment see our betta disease list on this forum for advice on that.
Hey jadaBlu !
This was allot of help thank you for taking the time to inform me of this ! I'm just about to go out and get a new tank now and like you said in your second post I'm going to give it time before i put him into his new environment i just have a couple questions:

1. I'm going to look into getting some AQ.Salt while im out! would i put it all in his tank at once or spread it around?

2. Is AQ.Salt the same as sea salt? cause i know its very good for everything?

3. When i do the 1tsp/gal Aq.Salt when would i do the daily water change?

right AFTER the change?
or
Acouple hours BEFORE i change the water?

Thanks !
Kham905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:19 PM   #22 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picasso84 View Post
Kham, I think that u have done the best you could with what u were told, don't be too hard on yourself, u didn't know better, & it obviously wasn't intentional! *But definitely follow everyone's advice lol :) and Good Luck

I am kinda new to betta keeping (not fish overall) so I can't really advise u on diseases, or anything, but there are some very knowledgeable ppl on this forum, so u are in good hands!

One thing I can say, is that if u can't get a new tank immediately, just do frequent 50% water changes, every day probably would be best, and a 100% once a week (look up how to acclimate him to the new water, so as to not shock him when u do the 100% changes) :) ooh, and get a glass floating thermometer they come with suction cups, so u can stick it to the tank... And I just found out that the "bettatherm" (its like a heating pad) bowl heaters... By Zoo Med... I had one, & it screwed up my water (in a 2gal) it made it smell like burnt rubber & pennies, & got this white goo on the small part out of the gravel.... Don't use that! (trust me, it's a waste of money) (If I hadn't been on top of it, my betta would've gotten sick from it... He had started going downhill (so to speak) but he's perfectly fine now) I'm not sure what size heater would be good for that size bowl, but an *adjustable* one is good b/c u can control it if it gets too hot... (which is why it's good to have a thermometer) I believe 25 watts would be good as well, and that should work for your larger tank when u get one too (up to ~5gal~ ~depending on other factors affecting temps~)
Hey there Picasso84!

Thanks for the kind words i was alittle down on myself cause i feel like its my fault but you live, you learn! and hopefully he will come out ok

thanks for the great advice i will stay away from the heating pad! and I'm going out in about 10 mins to look at new tanks and heaters! i'm going to see if they have a bigger TANK kit that would come with everything so i wouldn't have to buy everything separately i wouldn't know what to really look for! but thanks again i'll post results when everything's done!
Old 02-20-2013, 05:23 PM   #23 
Kiara1125

You can get Jungle or API Aquarium Salt. It's not the same as marine salt. Add the salt right after you change the water. I've had no problems when I put the salt in all at once.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #24 
Adelais

Also, when you add the salt make sure all of it has been completely dissolved before you add him in.
Adelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:42 PM   #25 
Adelais

As for the tank, I know that topfin has a 5.5 gallon that pretty much comes with everything except the heater and I believe it is on sale right now.
Adelais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:52 PM   #26 
Kiara1125

I never have any problems with my bettas and salt. I measure it out and dump it in one tsp at a time. It just dissolves under them while they're in the tank.
Kiara1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:54 PM   #27 
Kham905

Hey forum!

Thank you again for all your support and help! everyone who's been replying and following my posts here's and update i just went out and spent about just over 100$ on new equipment :

Aqua-Tech 5 Gallon Tank ! ( Major upgrade )
Tetra Submersible Heater 2 - 15 Gallon ( Maintains Temp at 78+2 F )
Aquarium Salt box 16 OZ ( that will treat up too 105 Gallons )
BETTA SAFE little figures and plants ( no sharp edges )
Picture backdrop
Big bag of Blue Aquarium Gravel 22lb
( Surprisingly they had no betta fish leafs in the store at all :( but i bought something that he can lay on that's safe )

And i also picked up something called Parasite Clear:
http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/04...66_500X500.jpg

It looked like it could work if the Aquarium salt fails but whats your out look on this?!

This should be a great new home for sonic and hopefully it will make him feel better!

Old 02-20-2013, 08:25 PM   #28 
Kham905

Everythings inside and sonic looks like hes starting to breath better and his eyes are moving looking at his surroundings he hasn't moved from the position yet i put aquarium salt in with a parasite clear before i put sonic in will he get better soon? :(

Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #29 
MiyuMikaelson

I'm sure he'll absolutely love the upgrade. For sure keep us updated on his condition.
:)
MiyuMikaelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:26 PM   #30 
Kham905

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiyuMikaelson View Post
I'm sure he'll absolutely love the upgrade. For sure keep us updated on his condition.
:)
Thank you ! :) and yes i will keep everyone updated! i did a safe transfer from one tank to the other and i used the aqua salts and medication before i put him in he's still laying on the bottom on his side like this ( _/ tail on the bottom and head is couple cm above the ground ) it looks like his breathing has gotten better i really hope hes going to be ok, he doesn't move unless i'll move the tank a tiny bit and he'll quickly go up for air then sinks vertically back to the bottom