Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #11 
SolomonFinch

That is a good idea about the cell. I will try all three cameras... I have found NOTHING online containing information about internal injuries in bettas, and I see someone else is having a problem, so for the sake of posterity I really do feel as if I should take picture's now.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 PM   #12 
Shadyr

It's not like there is much to be done, unfortunately. Make her comfy as possible, and give her time.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:00 PM   #13 
Nicci Lu

Does your QT tank have a filter? This might be like comparing apples to oranges, but I was thinking that if oxygen treatments are given for decompression sickness in humans, then it might be beneficial to ensure that the fish has oxygen-rich water. And since surface agitation helps with the oxygen supply, I decided to turn on the filter- my first impulse was to turn it off so my betta didn't have to swim any harder than he had to.

I don't know if injury from decompression even matters after the injury from compression...it was just a thought.
Nicci Lu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #14 
Shadyr

I'd think about it this way....you just just got slammed into a wall. Do you want to run a marathon? I can't say more oxygenated water would be *bad* for wounds, but it seems like the agitation of the water to produce that tiny benefit would not be worth the additional stress.
Old 01-30-2013, 01:39 PM   #15 
Nicci Lu

I was thinking more about the gas bubbles that form internally when divers go from high pressure to low pressure suddenly. They're supposed to rupture internally and cause organ failure in some cases. But heck, science isn't my thing- this might not even apply to fish, or in a complete vacuum when they can't breathe at all.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:53 AM   #16 
Shadyr

Ah, that makes more sense. Still not sure it would be worth the stress on the fish to find out! How is the recovery going?
Old 01-31-2013, 06:15 PM   #17 
Nicci Lu

I ended up putting the sponge baffler back on my filter- you were probably right, the less stress the better. My betta is back to his normal curious self, thank goodness. He even did some work on his bubble nest, which I promptly destroyed- poor guy- when I did a water change. He's got a big scrape right above one of his gills and the ends of his caudal and anal fins turned bright red- I don't think it could have been fin rot because it happened right after the Incident and I'd been doing a water change (granted, I only got to about 20%...). The red is almost gone now, and I'm changing his water once a day to make sure its immaculate. Hopefully all will heal with just clean water but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I used the gravel vacuum again today (very, very carefully), and the little goofball stills wants to check it out. You'd think he'd be scared of it...

I hope SolomonFinch's girl is doing okay.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:28 AM   #18 
Shadyr

Glad to hear that - it sounds like all will be well.

Ditto on Solomons girl!

Another craft mesh project for the weekend, figuring out how to make a cap for the vaccuum, cause it's plant cull/replace time, and I'll need the water lowered a decent amount to make that easier.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:52 PM   #19 
SolomonFinch

I would like to upload images of my girl's recovery. Yes, she survived! It took two weeks but she made it. She even introduced back into the sorority with no problem :)
To beat it all, and to explain why I dropped the thread, we had a HUGE snowstorm/icestorm that very night, and lost power! I couldn't keep her warm for 48 hours, or even clean her initial hospital water, yet she lived. Whoever said bettas are bullet proof was right.
Anyway, I click inset image and it asks for a URL link...I cant just insert from my files. Help? I would really like to share my photos since when I googled and yahoo'd and bing'ed for HOURS I could not find any specific info. I would like to help others with this footnote.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:39 PM   #20 
Nicci Lu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
Yes, she survived!
Yay! That's awesome. I bet your nerves were fried during that snowstorm!

You have to upload the images first to something like Photobucket. Once they're uploaded, you use the URL to your photo's page.