Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #1 
BrilovesRoger

My Betta is sick please help

Hi .. I'm kind of new, but I'm going through a tough time with my fish and I really need some help/advice.

My family and I brought home Roger (my fish) from a birthday party in September 2011. He was brought home in a bowl and had food for us to give him. Even though its not the best living conditions, he's been fine ever since. He always ate his food and swam happily around his tank/bowl. It is now February 2012 and Roger is acting strange. He stays at the bottom of the bowl and only comes up for air. He also doesn't eat his food anymore. We've never had this problem in the year and a half we had him. I'm concerned about his health but I don't know what to do. Please help me. I honestly love this fish with my whole heart and imagining him deceased would honestly break me to pieces. It seems that he struggles to go to the top of the tank. It's hard to explain. He swims to the top, then he sinks down unwillingly. I've done so much research but I can't seem to find an exact answer. Help me please ..
BrilovesRoger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:00 PM   #2 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

So sorry Roger is not feeling well. Could you please fill this out so we can help you better with Roger .
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:34 PM   #3 
BrilovesRoger

I'm sorry I didn't know :/
What size is your tank? about 1 gallon or more but updating very soon
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Betta flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? Twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 75%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? No

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? His tail is not spread out as it use to be, and his color is fading a bit
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He doesn't swim around like he use to (he was a very active fish), does not eat, and seems to struggle with swimming to the top of the tank
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 days ago but another family member said about a week
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Yes but only a 100% water change
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No not at all
How old is your fish (approximately)? I honestly do not know .. We've had him for a year and a half though
Old 02-20-2013, 10:37 PM   #4 
BrilovesRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
So sorry Roger is not feeling well. Could you please fill this out so we can help you better with Roger .
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
Sorry about that
Old 02-20-2013, 10:57 PM   #5 
Perseusmom
TFK Moderator

Thanks for filling out the form. Sounds like it could be a problem with his swim bladder, does his tummy look bloated ? Just have a look under his body and see if anything looks very round like bludge. For help with swim bladder Espom salt can help, the unscented kind you can find it at most stores or drug stores. Its 1 teaspoon per gallon and dissolve it in some warm water in a cup, like a plastic throw away type cup that has never been used before and then just pour in into his water, I would do like 1\4th at a time and wait 15 mins and then add more slowly like that so he can get used to the salt in his water.

Thats about all I know to do now besides just do the Espom salt treatments and change his water everyday for a week and see how he does and if he perks up any and wants to eat. Keep offering the food to him twice a day and remove any he doesnt eat so the water stays clean. Please ask if you have anymore questions and keep us updated on how Roger is doing. I know how you feel I love my little guy very much too. Best of luck to you and Roger !
Perseusmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
Tikibirds

I'm not sure what would cause that but I suggest doing a 100% water change and clean out the gravel - take everything out (including the fish) and rinse it under running water and then add some water back to the tank, swish it around and dump it out to get all the poop and whatnot out of the tank. If anything is in the gravel and isn't removed, it will contribute to the ammonia level. If you have the cup he came in, you can catch him in the cup and leave him in it till your done with the tan cleaning and then slowly acclimate him back int0 the tank.

If the water change dosn't improve anything, then I would try the epsom salt treatment.

Quote:
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None
Does this mean you do not use water conditioner? If so, that might be your problem right there. Water conditioners remove nasty stuff from tap water including chlorine and heavy metals which can be harmful or even kill the fish. Any water conditioner will work - Prime, stress coat, betta bowl plus...there are many to choose from.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:19 PM   #7 
SolomonFinch

Sorry about your little guy :(

If you have city water, conditioner is a MUST. Even with well water, removing metals and toxins is a consideration. I am a big believer in Kordon's conditioner, it can be pricey BUT Petsmart sells a 1 or 2 ounce sample size for 1.99... which a drop or two would be all you need in your current bowl size.
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #8 
BrilovesRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
Thanks for filling out the form. Sounds like it could be a problem with his swim bladder, does his tummy look bloated ? Just have a look under his body and see if anything looks very round like bludge. For help with swim bladder Espom salt can help, the unscented kind you can find it at most stores or drug stores. Its 1 teaspoon per gallon and dissolve it in some warm water in a cup, like a plastic throw away type cup that has never been used before and then just pour in into his water, I would do like 1\4th at a time and wait 15 mins and then add more slowly like that so he can get used to the salt in his water.

Thats about all I know to do now besides just do the Espom salt treatments and change his water everyday for a week and see how he does and if he perks up any and wants to eat. Keep offering the food to him twice a day and remove any he doesnt eat so the water stays clean. Please ask if you have anymore questions and keep us updated on how Roger is doing. I know how you feel I love my little guy very much too. Best of luck to you and Roger !
Thanks, I'll update you with the results
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM   #9 
BrilovesRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikibirds View Post
I'm not sure what would cause that but I suggest doing a 100% water change and clean out the gravel - take everything out (including the fish) and rinse it under running water and then add some water back to the tank, swish it around and dump it out to get all the poop and whatnot out of the tank. If anything is in the gravel and isn't removed, it will contribute to the ammonia level. If you have the cup he came in, you can catch him in the cup and leave him in it till your done with the tan cleaning and then slowly acclimate him back int0 the tank.

If the water change dosn't improve anything, then I would try the epsom salt treatment.

Does this mean you do not use water conditioner? If so, that might be your problem right there. Water conditioners remove nasty stuff from tap water including chlorine and heavy metals which can be harmful or even kill the fish. Any water conditioner will work - Prime, stress coat, betta bowl plus...there are many to choose from.
Thanks for answering. :) I don't use tap water , we usually use spring water and if we didn't have spring water we'd use tap water but with the purifier on the faucet. Should I still use water conditioner for my tank ?
Old 02-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #10 
BrilovesRoger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolomonFinch View Post
Sorry about your little guy :(

If you have city water, conditioner is a MUST. Even with well water, removing metals and toxins is a consideration. I am a big believer in Kordon's conditioner, it can be pricey BUT Petsmart sells a 1 or 2 ounce sample size for 1.99... which a drop or two would be all you need in your current bowl size.
Thank you for the advice . I really appreciate it :)