Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #1 
LuckyComet

Help with betta's tail

Hi, I'm new here and joined in hope that someone here can tell me how to help my crowntail betta's tail. So the problem started last month when I noticed his tail began to look ragged. I thought it looked like fin rot although I wasn't sure because his tail coloring is a dark red and I really couldn't tell if it had red or black edging. I tried cleaning the water daily, and when that didn't seem to help I tried adding some aquarium salt but that didn't seem to help his fins either. Finally I resorted to using medicine last week but his tail still looks ragged and I don't really see any new growth. I don't know how to post a photo on here, but I have one I took yesterday in my album. Thanks in advance.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78F
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One Betta pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 3-4 pellets daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? twice a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? one 50% and one 100%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? None

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
N/A
Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Ragged tail
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Maybe a little less active, but still eating normally
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Last month
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Tried daily water changes, aquarium salt, and medicine for fin rot
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No
How old is your fish (approximately)? I had him for almost a year and a half, but he was full grown when I bought him so I'm not sure exactly
LuckyComet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:11 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Can you post a picture? He might be biting it or ripping it on some decorations.

If thats not the case then I'd try some type of medication that helps with fin rot. It might be something parasitic or bacterial that is causing it.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #3 
Picasso84

Ok, so I'm kinda new to this, but I do know that if you use Stress Coat water conditioner by API that that will help with regrowth, and do daily water changes of 100%, and Aquarium Salt at 1tsp-2tsp/Gal. (Although it's not recommended past 10 days) & if that's not effective, use either (not together) API Tetracycline, API Fungus Cure, API Triple Sulfa, OR API Erythromycin. Along with the Stress Coat water conditioner to help regrowth. It says to continue until fins/tail stop receding and start showing some new growth.

**I got this info in the "Diseases and Emergencies" section of the forum, and it's a sticky entitled "Betta Fish Disease and Treatment Part 1"** I hope this helps.... Someone who knows more than I, or has dealt with this should come along tomorrow morn and can give you more specific advice, but I thought I might be able to direct you in the right direction, at least for tonight. Good Luck!! :) Beautiful betta by the way :)

(I saw that under the question about additives to water when you do water changes, that you said none.... Do you use water conditioner? Because, if not then you need to, not sure if it would affect tail/fin rot, but it isn't good for him because of chlorine/chloramines etc. in the water)... Sorry if I misread about that

Last edited by Picasso84; 02-19-2013 at 10:28 PM. Reason: Hard to read :) lol
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #4 
LuckyComet

Aemaki09- I'm not really sure how to post a picture on a thread. I do have one in the album on my profile though if that helps.

Picasso84- Thanks for the advice. I have tried aquarium salt (1tsp while I had him in about a .75 gal tank) and daily water changes and neither has really seemed to help. I also tried using Tetra Fungus guard, but still with no luck.
About the additives, I wasn't sure if I needed to add something since we have well water. Not sure if the type of water matters. If you think it will help, I will try adding conditioner to the water and also I will try the stress coat.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #5 
Picasso84

Yes, I don't think u would normally need the water conditioner for well water... Not completely 100% sure on that tho **But, with the fin rot, the stress coat will def. help! So I can tell u to get that, and use it! :) I think just continue with water changes, and everything... Hopefully someone with more experience will come along like Callistra, or Oldfishlady...etc. (they r the only ones I can think of off-hand) U could PM one of them, & see what they say... They know what they are doing... I am still fairly new to this, so sorry, wish I could help more... But PM them and they will b on top of it... :) Good Luck! I'm rooting for him!

I also don't know how to post a pic, or I'd tell u how, but the album pic is good enough
Picasso84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:35 PM   #6 
LuckyComet

Okay, I'll try the stress coat then and keep up the water changes. And it's fine. You have been very helpful and nice.:) Still hoping someone will give me some more ideas on how to heal whatever Nova has.
And thanks. I was worried the album photo wasn't showing up or something.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 AM   #7 
Oldfishlady

Since he is overall acting okay-other than a bit more lethargic and the fin damage is new after keeping him for 1.5 years....It might be age related-sadly not a lot we can do when a Betta start aging out.

You might try adding tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-this can help tough scales/fins, ease stress and has antibacterial/fungal properties. You can't overdose using it and you can use it long term-plus you can use it with the salt treatment.

Unless he has true rot and its not just tattered fins-I wouldn't use the salt at this point-especially if he is aging out. If it is true rot-depending on the degree of rot a 10day salt and tannin treated might be needed. I wouldn't make any 100% water changes at this point.
Premix your treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-add the tannins and use that for your 50% water changes every other day to every 3 days. If you opt to use salt-add that to the premixed treatment water jug.

Nutrition-good quality varied diet fed in small frequent meals

I don't recommend or use OTC medications, however, I am not critical of those that do-its a personal choice.

Good luck...
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:09 PM   #8 
LuckyComet

Thank you for replying.:) I was thinking it might be his age, but it's nice to know its nothing more serious. I tried the 10 day salt treatment of aquarium salt, but it didn't seem to affect his tail.
I haven't tried tannins on him before. I'm not sure if the pet stores around here sell, but I'll look for some tomorrow when I go to town.
I was going to use stress coat on him. Would it be okay to use the stress coat and the tannins together?
Old 02-21-2013, 12:28 PM   #9 
Kels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfishlady View Post

You might try adding tannins-either IAL or dried Oak leaf-.
Whats this?
Kels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #10 
Oldfishlady

Yes, stress coat and tannins are fine together...

Kels-Tannin source -I use naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf from my Oak trees in my yard. I crush about 20 leaves more or less and steep them in a 1gal jug (I use a clean 1gal milk jug for this) You can also add them directly to the tank-I like to use anywhere from 1-10 whole leaves-depending on why I am using them, tanks size and how dark I want the water.

IAL (Indian almond leaf) is another tannin source, however, usually you have to order them online-rarely do pet shops have them to sell.

In a pinch you can use Decaf green or black tea, however, due to how it is process it may not contain the natural antibacterial/fungal properties like the other two-since temps over 110F kill that bacteria. But the tanned water can help stress.
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
finrot betta crowntail