Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 05:43 PM   #1 
PaulO

So I kinda went to my LFS yesterday story....and pics

I now hold my lfs at a lower standard. I usually go in there and of course like all other fish stores they keep there bettas in tiny few ounce cups which already irritates me since they have a barracks system set up for store bred SW products. After I passed by the cups I went by and decided to look at their tanks....you know just to "observe".

So I was walking by the usual's: Huge planted tank, SW Coral tanks, SW fish, and then I got to the freshwater section. There were Cichlids, Koi, Goldfish, an Arowana for some reason.... and then I got to the tank with the neon tetras. Now at this point you're probably wondering "so just a normal store with the normal misunderstanding of bettas" well I looked in the tank with the neons and let me tell you what I saw. The flow in the tank was pretty strong but neon's being as streamlined as they are were doing fine, as I was looking closer I saw 2 fish that were NOT neons, they were bettas.

These poor two fish were being thrown all over the tank from the output. I decided I would ask how much the fish cost....the guy said 1.49 and my jaw dropped. Without realizing it I must have stammered "I'll take them" because the next thing I realized was I was sitting in the car with a brown paper bag containing the two little troublemakers while getting ye olden stink eye from my mother. Anyway here are the two "hopefully" girls that will eventually end up in a sorority, it was only them and the neons but I think they were too tired to fight. Whats even more shocking is the store guy said somebody breeds bettas in the area and brings them a new batch almost every 2 weeks!
*Photos were taken yesterday night and this morning 2/19-2/20/2013
I decided to name them Rose and Lavender but will change if one or the other mysteriously becomes a man.

Rose:

This girl has some bloat on her and has a bit of red around her gills which I am not sure if is ammonia burn or simply coloring. Sadly she is the better case of the two of them.

Lavender "possible male due to fancy finnage"

*where is betta? :P*

Lavender here has also a bit of a stronger case of bloating. Also she struggles to reach the surface for air and does so in short sporadic burst's.

I acclimated them yesterday temp & ph and gave them a feast of blood worms just to get their strength up. I will fast them for a couple of days and see if they get better hopefully the bloat has a dietary nature and not a parasitic one. I did see some evidence of bowel movement today, it was black and slightly green but I will attribute that to the abundance of algae the store has in it's tanks "which are highly lit and oxygenated by constant heavy water movement". Each is currently in a 1.5 gallon hospital tank I scrounged up yesterday and I will have water temp readings today and will do parameter tests tomorrow.

-Paul
PaulO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:45 PM   #2 
PaulO

Forgot to mention they are both also missing their ventral fins for some reason and they were a little roughed up as the decor in the tank was not exactly betta safe... and am also getting epsom and aquarium salt ready in case it is necessary.

Last edited by PaulO; 02-20-2013 at 05:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:18 PM   #3 
majesticstorm

They're so lucky to be rescued by you! :) They're both gorgeous! I hope they make a nice recovery.
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #4 
PaulO

Thank you, on a side note I have 2 updates.

-1st lavender might be a he, we went out for a few hours and when we came back I saw bubbles all along the left side of the cube aquarium and a density of about 1/4 an inch.

-2nd I just watched rose chow down on duckweed, and I dont mean just bite or nibble. This fish full on grabbed the duckweed, pulled it under water, chewed it up, and swallowed it...so yeah.

Anyway I will post you guys on any funky behaviour I see or changes in health or whatever.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:10 PM   #5 
BettaGurl79

They are both Beautiful. I can't wait to see how their colors develop. Keep us all posted =)
BettaGurl79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:22 PM   #6 
PaulO

Well I am confused, I looked closely and I see a prominent egg spot but when I did a reflection/mirror test I think I saw a beard behind those gills. Also the more I am looking at lavender the more I am wondering if someone was trying to make a mini plakat lol...s/he has almost a 180 spread when flared but the fin rounds up at the top and isn't a sharp 90*. Anyway how cool would it be to have mini bettas lol. The only downside is they would make even smaller tanks than 1/4 a gallon :/.
Old 02-21-2013, 12:43 PM   #7 
PaulO

So good news, when I went to check on R & L they both look to be a little less bloated and lavender swims a lot more easily and can actually hold himself in the water. The silly fish has however take a liking to lying on the heater also their water temp stays around 78-82 and I will keep it like that until the bloat is completely gone. More pictures to be uploaded soon.
Old 02-21-2013, 01:53 PM   #8 
majesticstorm

That's great to hear! :D And who doesn't like to snuggle next to something warm? XD
majesticstorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #9 
Crowntails

They are so beautiful. I'm especially drawn to Lavender. The blue in his/her fins - wow! They are so lucky to be rescued by you :)
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:09 PM   #10 
PaulO

So I did a photo-shoot this morning...

Updates:
1- Half of the duckweed in Rose's tank is gone, better duckweed managment than a dang goldfish.
2- A little neon blue is showing up on Rose's fins so I don't know if she'll end up marbling on me...
3- Bloat on both fish is significantly better (gone)
4- Lavender needs a new name....a manly one.
5- Lavender is swimming a lot more, patrols his territory every now and then, really enjoys bundling up next to the heater, and flirts with Rose at every opportunity he gets (flaring and swimming like a mad man.)

Notes:
-Sorry for the smorgasbord of pictures
-Any names for my manly fish?
-more updates coming soon!

-Paul O