Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 09:15 AM   #1 
medusae

Epsom salt treatment aggravating pop eye?

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5g Hex
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Aqueon Betta Food Pellets and Aqueon Betta Treat Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Once a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 50% a day - been doing this for three days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Prime. Epsom salt.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: -.25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 5.0ppm
pH: 7.4
Hardness: -
Alkalinity: -

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Coloration very dull, fins have deteriorated, scales more defined, but not protruding.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is up an down. Acts normally most of the time. Eats as usual.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Two months ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Most recent treatment was with Maracyn II.
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
Yes, upon initial appearance of fin rot I mistakenly used bettafix with caused him to become increasingly lethargic. I cut that out, did a water change an he seemed to be doing better. His fin rot began again, despite normal water changes so I started doing aquarium salt treatment. Did that for 10 days with daily 100% changes and he seemed to be doing better with a little regrowth, but it again got worse.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I got him about four months ago.

I started treating my betta for pop eye about for days ago by dosing 2tsp epsom salt for every water change. Been doing 50% water changes every day to treat his very bad fin rot. I woke up this morning and and his right eye is bigger and is now becoming cloudy. What can I do for him? PLEASE help. I'm desperate, this betta has had so much trouble. :(
medusae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

if u add two teaspoons every wc, lets do some math...
Im going to say there is 2 gals of water
day1: 2tsp/2gallon
day2: 3 tsp/2gallon (-1tsp+ 2tsp...)
day3: 3.5 tsp/2gal. (-1.5tsp + 2tsp)

...etc

as you can see... the concentration of Epsom Salt has gets higher and higher ...The maximum recommended dosage is 3tsp/gallon.
you should only add enough salt to replenish that you've lost which in your case:

ie. dosing at 2tsp/2gallon = 1tsp/gallon = 1tsp/ 1/2gallon = 1/2 tsp/ 1/4gallon. etc

is 1tsp for every 50% wc

fin rot is an external problem... epsom salt is recommended for internal problems such as bloat...

aquarium salt is reccomended for rot and external discomforts..

pop eye is an indication of other internal problems... i can only think that he didnt take well to the ES :(

Last edited by ao; 02-21-2013 at 10:43 AM.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 02:24 PM   #3 
Oldfishlady

It sounds like his immune response was compromised from a lot of different treatments-along with possible toxic issues.

Until you get to the root of the problem and support the immune response-it most likely will be an on-going problem.

Can you post a pic, is it one or both eyes involved, have you tried any tannins and are you treating in the 2.5gal filtered tank....

What I would recommend at this point-move him to a QT tank of 1gal or less-No filter or water movement, water temp in the 76-78F range for treatment.

Premix some treatment water in a 1gal jug of dechlorinated water-Add Epsom salt 2tsp/gal and a tannin source-Either IAL (1lrg crushed/gal) or naturally dried and fallen from the tree Oak leaf (20 crushed/gal)
Let this steep for at least 30min...Shake well before use....

Both Epson salt (Magnesium sulfate) and the tannins have antibacterial/fungal properties to help with external and internal problems.
When you are facing both internal and external issue-Epsom salt and tannins are the best choice-especially if you may have toxic issues going on too.

Using this premixed treatment water-make 25% water changes every 15min for 1 hour today-Dim lit quiet location.
He needs to stay in the small QT-in this treatment water for the duration of the treatment period of 10-14 days.

Tomorrow-using the premixed treatment water-Start 50% daily water changes-Best to leave him in the QT for water changes.
If you used a tannin source-the premixed treatment water should look darker each day and this is what you want. Don't worry about any of the leaf bits that fall in the QT with water changes.

Nutrition-this is often over looked and is very important part of the healing process and overall immune response support.
Feed good quality varied diet in small frequent meals-If you have access to live mosquito larva-offer several rinsed a couple of times a day.

Sometimes over treatment, shot gun treatment method and general use of a lot of different chemicals- can stress to the point it compromises the immune response, inhibits antibody development, cause toxic issues and can mask S/S. The immune response is what is responsible for preventing illness in the fish world and why it is so important to support it.

Hopefully, his immune response wasn't compromised to the point that he can't recover....Good luck....
Oldfishlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:28 PM   #4 
Perry the platypus

Can bettas get a water change everyday?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote