Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-20-2013, 05:22 PM   #11 
Racoon293

Is there a conditioner available that can totally neutralize ammonia? (Until the fish replaces it.) I've been using the top fin betta conditioner too. But was planning to switch to prime. Sorry to say I've never tested my water but now I'm all freaked out and will get a test kit ASAP. I got a 5.5 gal. And been doing 50%'s weekly with a 100% monthly water changes.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:14 PM   #12 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon293 View Post
Is there a conditioner available that can totally neutralize ammonia? (Until the fish replaces it.) I've been using the top fin betta conditioner too. But was planning to switch to prime. Sorry to say I've never tested my water but now I'm all freaked out and will get a test kit ASAP. I got a 5.5 gal. And been doing 50%'s weekly with a 100% monthly water changes.
There's no need to do a 100% water change as a regular practice on a 5.5g tank. Do you have the tank filtered? How long has the tank been running? Water conditioners such as Prime make the water safe long enough to let the BB do its thing which is to process out ammonia & nitrites, remove chlorine, chloramines & other stuff so that it doesn't harm your BB. I have a 5.5g that has been running since November, I do a weekly 50%+ water change & that keeps my fish & snails healthy & happy.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:26 AM   #13 
Racoon293

The tanks not filtered and has been up and running almost 5 weeks now. I've started to research and look into sponge filters. I know you recently went to all spo ge filters Shellica. Is there a brand you recommend? I would prefer a kit that comes with the sponge, air pump and everything.
Old 02-21-2013, 04:56 AM   #14 
acitydweller

water conditioners that say the remove chlorine and ammonia actually convert them to something less toxic. testing for ammonia after treatment will give a fault positive as test will pickup ammonium which is the byproduct of treatment. though less toxic, it still remains in the water.

Choose a water treatment solution that also treats chloramine. some municipalities use this to treat the tap as it proves to be more effective delivering water over greater distances. Prime is good for this.

good luck.

AC
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:41 AM   #15 
shellieca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racoon293 View Post
The tanks not filtered and has been up and running almost 5 weeks now. I've started to research and look into sponge filters. I know you recently went to all spo ge filters Shellica. Is there a brand you recommend? I would prefer a kit that comes with the sponge, air pump and everything.
I did but I made my own, I bought the airline, the air pumps (Tetra Whisper 10g for my 5.5g, 20g for my 10g & a 40g to supply air to 2 10g tanks) & a box of Aquaclear (now Fluval) sponges & airline clips. I don't know of a kit that comes with everything but there could be. I like it so much better & I think the boys all do as well, much less water agitation & the tank is actually more open/lighter. Since your tank has been set for a while you should have some BB built up in the water, substrate & plants so it should cycle a little faster than if starting from scratch.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #16 
Racoon293

Thanks for all the advice y'all. Im gonna step up my research into the sponge filters. I seen a post about them the other day by Waterdog. Might be a few weeks before I can get one but thanks again for all the help.
Old 02-21-2013, 03:46 PM   #17 
tanked

Check out this site. angels plus for sponge filters.
Never used them but plan to. Seem reasonable and smart.
Posted via Mobile Device
tanked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #18 
Racoon293

Thanks for the link Tanked.