Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 06:19 PM   #21 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekkguy View Post
I love those 10 gallon half moons. those plants are going to look great when they start getting taller!

I would suggest that you move the thermometer to the other side of the tank, or move the heater to the other side ... next to each other, the thermometer won't be as reliable - when the heater is on, it will spike up higher. A tall piece of driftwood would look great standing up on the heater side, and then a java fern or anubias could be tied to it to help hide the heater!

Those moss balls carry a lot of bacteria with them ... and if you bought that driftwood already sunk from the pet store, it probably does too. Not a surprise you're already seeing nitrates!
hehe i hope i don't kill them! i really love the half moon look too
it fits against a wall perfectly.. i'll move the thermometer away from the heater asap!
i didn't know moss balls carried a lot of bacteria, i got two because they look so cute!
the driftwood wasn't used previously i don't think.. it didn't say.
great idea tekk! when i finish cycling my tank i'll play around with my driftwood and anubias
i'll probably buy a couple more plants by then too.. kind of obsessed with the planted tank idea after seeing such amazing photos of them on here
jennydlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 08:49 PM   #22 
AyalaCookiejar

Getting more live plants will be great for the tanks future inhabitants :) but it can also cause a "silent cycle" meaning the plants would use up the ammonia and the cycle would happen but would be undetectable or something of the sort. I would move the heater horizontally at the bottom of the tank (if possible) under the filter before you add fish because heat rises so it would heat the water more consistently, and it would also be easier to hide.

I think the previous poster I saw meant that the nitrites were high (5ppm) and not the ammonia. The ammonia looks to me like its at .5 and the nitrites more like 4-5ppm. It's good that the ammonia isn't too high because, as a previous poster said, ammonia is detrimental to ALL life (including your live plants, that is).

The plants will help with the water quality when you add fish, so its good you have them. Make sure they are growing and healthy looking because the ammonia can possibly harm them.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:22 PM   #23 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
Getting more live plants will be great for the tanks future inhabitants :) but it can also cause a "silent cycle" meaning the plants would use up the ammonia and the cycle would happen but would be undetectable or something of the sort. I would move the heater horizontally at the bottom of the tank (if possible) under the filter before you add fish because heat rises so it would heat the water more consistently, and it would also be easier to hide.

I think the previous poster I saw meant that the nitrites were high (5ppm) and not the ammonia. The ammonia looks to me like its at .5 and the nitrites more like 4-5ppm. It's good that the ammonia isn't too high because, as a previous poster said, ammonia is detrimental to ALL life (including your live plants, that is).

The plants will help with the water quality when you add fish, so its good you have them. Make sure they are growing and healthy looking because the ammonia can possibly harm them.
putting the heater under the filter sounds like a great idea! is it alright to submerge a heater that has a minimum water line on it? i read on some posts that it was totally okay for some people.. kind of scared to take a risk but willing to.. lol
for my plants right now i'm not doing much.. just turning on the light at 7 am and turning it off when the sun goes down
Old 02-21-2013, 09:26 PM   #24 
tekkguy

Quote:

Ammonia is in no way detrimental to plant life. It is plant food!
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:35 PM   #25 
jennydlee

dwarf hairgrass

should i have some dwarf hairgrass as a carpet for my tank? i plan on getting some tankmates though.. like cherry shrimp hehe would they appreciate the hairgrass?

what are some low bioload tankmates for bettas in a 10 gallon?
i want at least one nerite snail and a few cherry shrimp
i think the cherry shrimp will look pretty with my black sand
Old 02-21-2013, 10:58 PM   #26 
AyalaCookiejar

Ammonia in high amounts is detrimental to all life. It's food for the BB too, but it can harm it in high amounts.

What kind of heater do you have?

Edit: I have Hydor Theos and they have a minimum water line but they can be fully submerged. Most heaters can be. The cords can also be submerged, just the pronged part that plugs into the wall cannot get wet. That is what the "drip loop" is for.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 02-21-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:04 PM   #27 
tekkguy

Quote:
Ammonia in high amounts is detrimental to all life. It's food for the BB too, but it can harm it in high amounts.

Well, of course in high amounts. If I drink 50 gallons of water, I'll die. A little bag of rotting worms isn't going to produce enough ammonia to hurt the pants, but it will certainly stall the cycle if it jumps up to 8 or 9 ppm.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:10 AM   #28 
jennydlee

Quote:

Edit: I have Hydor Theos and they have a minimum water line but they can be fully submerged. Most heaters can be. The cords can also be submerged, just the pronged part that plugs into the wall cannot get wet. That is what the "drip loop" is for.

i have this one
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ontent=Default
Old 02-22-2013, 12:58 AM   #29 
AyalaCookiejar

It's submersible.

Putting it horizontally at the bottom also help when doing water changes because it won't be partly out of the water so you won't have to turn it off during PWCs.