Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 08:31 PM   #11 
tekkguy

You should keep him calm. Some almond leaves or oak leaves will help. Some floating plants to dim the lights will help too. No way to make him never tail bite but you can discourage it. The fins will heal if he will stop.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:26 PM   #12 
GailC

He's in a spare room with no excess sound. I'll keep the lights dim and see if I can get my hands on some oak leaves. How long do you let the leaves stay in the tank? I assume you take them out before they completely rot away?
I'm going to add a couple shrimp for company, he likes to chase them around.
GailC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #13 
tekkguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC View Post
He's in a spare room with no excess sound. I'll keep the lights dim and see if I can get my hands on some oak leaves. How long do you let the leaves stay in the tank? I assume you take them out before they completely rot away?
I'm going to add a couple shrimp for company, he likes to chase them around.
I have an oak leaf in my 5 gallon shrimp tank that has been in there for over a month. It's still in pretty good shape. I'm not sure why it hasn't rotted away, but how long to leave it is really a personal preference. Since my tank is shrimp and heavy with plants, I'll probably just let it rot away for the most part. You'll probably want to change it out every couple of weeks. The tannins in the leaf are supposedly what gives it the antibacterial and calming qualities, and those leech out after the first couple of weeks for a thick, hardy leaf.
tekkguy is offline   Reply With Quote