Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-22-2013, 01:29 PM   #141 
Crowntails

Perhaps if people start breeding VTs for more "exotic" colors, they would get showed. It probably won't happen, but the thought of it would be nice. There are many VTs out there that I think are show worthy and shouldn't be excluded from being shown.

Like this guy, he's a beauty:

Or him:
Crowntails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:06 PM   #142 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown terror View Post

this is now the "most beautiful veiltails on the internet" thread.
Hey he's mine! That's Apollo

This is his sister

I also have this guy, his names Encore

And this is his sister
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 03:39 PM   #143 
Skyewillow

dang, Moonshadow!! nice group of veils there!!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #144 
bettalover2000

Very nice!!
bettalover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:41 AM   #145 
Basement Bettas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowntails View Post
Perhaps if people start breeding VTs for more "exotic" colors, they would get showed. It probably won't happen, but the thought of it would be nice. There are many VTs out there that I think are show worthy and shouldn't be excluded from being shown.
Got to remember there has to be a standard to judge against.. and "pretty" is not one. So breeding unique fish of any tail type makes for interesting fish.. but no really predictable and pure lines. You end up destroying the gene pool just trying to create the next fad. Showing is where a breeder proves they can breed consistent quality in color and form. It is the breeder who is really judged by the fish they produce.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:28 PM   #146 
Chard56

What you'd consider a plain old colored Red or Blue Veiltail could win because of it's finnage and form being closest to the standard over a gorgeous "to die for" Purple and lime Green Dragon with pink pokadots. Pretty colors help me sell and I try to make them SuperVeils but that might not conform to the standards (if they ever reintroduced them). As of now there are no standards for Veiltails in the US. How they carry their finnage is what is important to me.
Chard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:43 PM   #147 
Xaltd1

But, for people who just want a pet & don't show/breed, "Pretty" is a great standard! (After Healthy!)
That Dalmatian makes me drool. Where do you live again ;0) ?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 01:52 PM   #148 
Chard56

That's my point. I can breed all kinds of different colored Veiltails from Dalmations to Purple Dragons and that will help them sell but they won't do any better in the shows because they don't have a standard for them. Even under Form and Finnage they disregard color and judge on form and finnage only so you're still competing against all the other classes for Best of variety Reserve BOV, Best of Show and Reserve BOS. You could possibly get a first place in that class but that's about it. Personally I depend on my sales for income and really don't have time to breed veiltails for show. If they don't look pretty with nice big flowing fins they won't sell and I end up eating mac-n-cheese and ramen noodles, which aren't bad but not as good as a burger or an occassional steak!
Old 02-23-2013, 02:11 PM   #149 
Xaltd1

How do they do on Aquabid? I'm sure VTs would do better on ebay. It seems breeders go to Aquabid for new breeding stock, Ebay for pets. (She says after buying a breeding pair on ebay...)
I get tired of seeing "***BREEDING****!!!" everywhere on both sites. How about "****PET!!!*****"? I feel like the seller is justifying a ridiculous price, and if I wanted the fish "just" as a pet, I'm ruining some sort of genetic lineage or dynasty...
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #150 
Chard56

I had two out of ten sold the first day I posted on ebay. The person never paid and nothing was done about it. I got charged a couple dollars for what I thought were free listings and never sold (that I got paid for) anything on there. Even though I was half the price or less than anything else on there. Like if it's not $35 or $40 dollars the buyers with money to burn wouldn't bother buying it. I don't list plain ordinary Veiltails on AB so they sell fairly well. My Purple SuperVeils sell for $18 to $25 for those that have the money and have wanted a Purple Betta ever since they saw one on one of the forums.