Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-21-2013, 07:26 PM   #1 
jennydlee

hi everyone!! tell me, what was your first experience with fish like?

was it good? stressful? how was your first aquarium like? hehe
i love hearing about everyone's first experiences
i'm very new to all this, the first few nights i was really on the verge of going bonkers!!! i took in so much information in such little time and was thinking too much about it haha my problem.. thinking too much

also, not sure if i posted it in the right forum.. sorry if it's not right
jennydlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:46 PM   #2 
aemaki09

Glad to see you here! The first few days can be very stressful if you realize you dont have the right kits for them!

I dont remember my first experience too well. I think I was like 4-5 and my dad got me one as a gift because I would always fall asleep in front of his tank so he figured he would put one by my bed so I could fall asleep there a bit better. (i've never been one to fall asleep at a decent time)
Anyways, he didnt last too long. He was in a 1 gallon bowl with a couple of fake plants for him to hang out in. No heater but we lived in florida so it wasnt too much of a problem. He must have lasted a couple of months at the least. After him I fell in love with bettas though and have been keeping them on and off throughout my life.
aemaki09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:04 AM   #3 
Marvel170

My first Experience with fish and an aquarium was great :) I was 5 when I got my first tank. I had gotten the fish first as an early birthday gift from my parents and we had them in a little 10 gallon. Then the next day(or what felt like the next day) my grandma and uncle were setting up this HUGE tank. I being very curious asked a ton of questions, and then when the tank was ready and cycled I got to put all the fish in to the big new tank.

Welcome to the forum :) hehe I know how you feel I was the same way last year when I found this site I was on here looking up betta stuff for hours. This site convenced me to get my two boys I have now :) and I still want more bettas XP
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM   #4 
GoodMorning

Welcome to the forums! My first experience, hmm...I think i was probably around 7 or 8, and i think my mom bought me a neon tetra or a guppy, i dont remember, or maybe it was a goldfish. It was a little tank, i had a filter and an air pump with some gravel and decoration. Ever since that day, it has been non-stop fish crazy, but i could never keep them alive, they just kept dying. Finally, when i was a teenager, i saved up enough money to buy a big tank and bought my first baby oscar, i think i had that guy for a couple years, the most out of all my fishes. He was about 3" inches when i first got him, and when i gave him away to the petstore, he was about 9" inches. That was a very sad day for me, i almost cried, lol.

Anyway, it's been about a good 7-8 years hiatus since my first pet, it's nice to be back. In a way, it's a good thing, i'm a much more mature and knowledgeable pet enthusiast now.
GoodMorning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:08 AM   #5 
acitydweller

i took home a 10 gallon tank along with some goldfish, a box filter and some rubber airline tube and an airpump from pet land discounts. i was told i have everytying i needed, including fish flakes.... everyone was dead over the course of the week thereafter. felt like a murderer... while pet land discounts closed a nice sale off me.
acitydweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:37 PM   #6 
waterdog

I was a kid and my dad brought home a 10 gallon tank and some swordfish. That same night one of them started having babies and the rest ate them. Dad was panicked and I think mom may have cried! LOL
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:02 PM   #7 
Marvel170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel170 View Post
My first Experience with fish and an aquarium was great :) I was 5 when I got my first tank. I had gotten the fish first as an early birthday gift from my parents and we had them in a little 10 gallon. Then the next day(or what felt like the next day) my grandma and uncle were setting up this HUGE tank. I being very curious asked a ton of questions, and then when the tank was ready and cycled I got to put all the fish in to the big new tank.

Welcome to the forum :) hehe I know how you feel I was the same way last year when I found this site I was on here looking up betta stuff for hours. This site convenced me to get my two boys I have now :) and I still want more bettas XP
I meant to say that that huge tank was a 55 gallon XD
Marvel170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:47 PM   #8 
Seaman2012

My first experience was a little overwhelming. I was only ten and started with a ten gallon tank. I didn't know much about cycling..but crazy enough my fish lived forever! Then after a year..my grandma got me a 26 gallon aquarium for Christmas! I was so shocked! Now that I am moved out on my own..my husband and I have six bettas..one seven gallon aquarium for tropical fish and a ten gallon. All my bettas live in different tanks :) They are all very loved!
Seaman2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:04 PM   #9 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by aemaki09 View Post
Glad to see you here! The first few days can be very stressful if you realize you dont have the right kits for them!

I dont remember my first experience too well. I think I was like 4-5 and my dad got me one as a gift because I would always fall asleep in front of his tank so he figured he would put one by my bed so I could fall asleep there a bit better. (i've never been one to fall asleep at a decent time)
Anyways, he didnt last too long. He was in a 1 gallon bowl with a couple of fake plants for him to hang out in. No heater but we lived in florida so it wasnt too much of a problem. He must have lasted a couple of months at the least. After him I fell in love with bettas though and have been keeping them on and off throughout my life.

yeah.. i bought my betta fish without knowing ANYTHING about them! what a big mistake sigh
wont be purchasing any live animals again without researching about them first haha

your dad is smart! i've never been one to fall asleep at a decent time either, i'm a night owl(that's that my parents call me) hehe

it must be beautiful in Florida

i enjoyed reading your post! thank you for taking your time out of your day to write about it
Old 02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #10 
jennydlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvel170 View Post

wow! must have been so exciting for you as a toddler! hehe so adorable! what kind of fish did you have in there? i bet the aquarium was so beautiful!

thank you for the warm welcome! i really love this site, it kept me up almost every night for the past couple weeks
been researching more about fish and aquariums than school.. oops
hehe thank you so much for taking time out of your day to write about your first experience with fish! really enjoyed reading about it <3